Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Print Washers?

Re: Multiple Print Washers?

I sold a 20X24 washer for a small profit after I decided 20X24 was too big as I was moving studio 400 miles

I can still make 20x24 in trays and use one for wash

Still have 11x14 and 16X20 washers and small trays for tiny contact prints on postcards
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I have three slot washers. The smallest works for 8X10 sheet film up to 11X14 prints. The mid-sized one is for 16X20 prints. The next one for either 16X20 or 20X24 prints. The very biggest, for up to 30X40 prints, is a different design, and not slot style. All are made of acrylic fabricated in my own shop, and every bit as efficient as anything equivalent commercially produced. They took an afternoon apiece to make, at about one fifth the cost.

Thanks all! This has been enormously helpful. I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for an 11x14 washer first, then add a 16x20 when/if necessary.

This video might be interesting before investing in a new washer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV7h-2WE8zI
    Best regards

Hans

I have two. My 11x14 is installed in my system. Very convenient and handy to use.

On those rare occasions where I need to wash 16x20, I can tray rinse those until I have the opportunity to put the Kostiner 16x20 in my darkroom sink, connect it, and complete the washing process.

I have 3, all Zone VI's, an 8x10 and 11x14 I bought new and a 16x20 I bought a couple of years ago. I print mostly 8x10's so it is permanently set up. I use it for paper and film. If I print 11x14, I bring the 11x14 washer out. I've yet to use the 16x20. If you print mostly 8x10 & 11x14, then get an 11x14 washer. If you only occasionally print larger then you can wash them one at a time in the tray or get a Kodak tray siphon for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
    This has amazed me.
    I would like to know what model is her vertical washer and how it is been used.

This video just made me realize I need to get my ducks in a row in my darkroom. Seems like 3 is the right number :-)

Jokes aside this is a great and highly informative video.

Drew Wiley

I recommend attending a class or viewing a tutorial on basic acrylic sheet fabrication if you want to save money, and have some shop space. But it still takes for forethought and testing to design an efficient washer. Basic circulation and water change activity can be simulated with food coloring dye tests. Not all expensive commercial seem well designed in my opinion either. Most seem too crowded, with the slot septums too close together, and all slick rather than textured or preferably dimpled.

Kudos for doing an actual test. Some caveats though.
    Outcome of HT-2 should be evaluated promptly (maybe a digital snap for the record)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HT-2.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	212356
    The spot (or smear) continues to darken after the recommended 2 minutes. And possibly weakens as washing resumes?

And that Fred Picker thing about hypo sinking to the bottom! Likewise, in a wine bottle, alcohol should rise to the top because alcohol is lighter than water.

The tray with circulation had no water change whatsoever. I bet just one water change after 10min would have made a dramatic difference. A safe bet; how do I know?

Hypo clear is also a major factor. Base side (FB papers) should also be tested because it retains hypo longer than the emulsion, esp. if hypo clear has not been used.
    Last edited by Bernard_L; 7-Feb-2021 at 02:11. Reason: added last sentence.