Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Head For 8x10? Arca Cube, Ries J250, Luland LD115, Acratech GXP

Re: Tripod Head For 8x10? Arca Cube, Ries J250, Luland LD115, Acratech GXP

It’s really hard to give a good answer here without knowing more, so OP is going to just get a bunch of opinions based on the personal experience of each of us for what’s likely a wide range of applications.

First the price range of the options you’re looking at is pretty wide, from like $300 to $1400. They’re not fair comparisons. How important is to save $1,000 vs the goal of supporting your camera?

How important is the weight? How important is the range of mobility? Is this for studio or field? How is it going to be used?

Foamer

I have a Kodak 2d 8x10. I'm using a Reis J250 head and love it. Extremely solid and easy to level up. It's designed to have adjustable friction that makes it simple to adjust even with my heavy brass Petzval lenses. I'm not aware of any head out there that is better for 8x10 than this one.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

The Luland stuff is really well made. I have both the Sinar clone and the TH150R that handles my heavy Toyo 8x10. If you decide to go that route you shouldn’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
    The Luland stuff is really well made. I have both the Sinar clone and the TH150R that handles my heavy Toyo 8x10. If you decide to go that route you shouldn’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So why not get the real stuff instead of a Chinese copy?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The big question is "how much off-level do you use the camera?"

Unless you use it at more than 20-30 degrees, you can just skip the head altogether. Use the adjustable leg lengths and angles instead. If weight is important enough that you sprang for an ultralight 8x10 camera, you can save even more weight without the tripod head.

Look through your portfolio and see how often you really use the extreme tilt of a tripod.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I prefer a Gitzo low profile series V pan/tilt head with 8x10 cameras.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have been using an Arca-Swiss geared head for my 4x5/5x7 and a Manfrotto geared head for my 8x10; both heads are capable for all three formats but they are set up that way as ready-to-go kits. The price difference is significant.

The Arca-Swiss has finer geared action and quick panning for fast repositioning. It’s really well thought out and well made. I would not want to go back to 3-way heads - too much fiddling: you think you’re locked down and then it slips a tiny bit, requiring adjustments. It’s rally not that big of a deal but a good geared is really a pleasure to work with. I tried monoball heads but I did not like them for the large format cameras.

Based on Drew’s comment about going without a tripod head and Mark’s question "how much off-level do you use the camera?" I actually do not have too many photographs that were captured off level. I would like to do that but it’s not typically what I do. So, I am going to try using my camera directly on the tripod with its leveling base. I believe that will work 90% of the time. For the occasions when a greater angle is needed, I have ordered a Luland head with a long fast plate that will attach to the camera base with three. 3/8” screws for a solid connection.
    Last edited by jamgolf; 30-Jan-2021 at 23:07.

+1 for The Acratech Ballhead. They say it will support 25 lbs. I put a Speed Graphic with an Aero Ektar (15lbs) on mine and it’s solid as a rock. The head is lightweight, made in Pomona, Ca., sturdy, will not collect dirt/debris, is small, and compact. I scoffed at the price, but I got so tired of decades of wrestling with crappily-casted/machined Manfrotto that I took the plunge. I’m glad I did and will hopefully never need to buy another head again. If you really want to go hog wild The Mitchell Head used to hold Panavision Film Cameras are quite a work of art. You can probably buy a car for what those cost, though.

I think most of us have gone through a succession of different tripod heads till finding one that we really liked... can sometimes be an expensive ritual. My first head for my 8x10 was a wooden tilt only B&J head. Last and final heads are a Luland and a Ries. Arca Cube was ideal for an architectural photography project that I was involved in but didn't really care for it for my personal photography. Bought the Cube used and sold it a few years later for what I initially paid for it. Acratech I have no experience with. To me it boils down a lot to the availability of replacement parts. I am very easy on my equipment but accidents do happen. Once my Ries tripod with a Ries head tipped over onto a rock, fortunately before I mounted my camera on it. Took only one phone call to get a replacement part from Ries arriving a few days later. The Luland has 360 degrees markings on it which I never use. As for the Ries... I called them up and asked them for their advice on which head to get for my 8x10 and my 11x14. After a 10 minute phone call I bought the model that they recommended and have been 100% satisfied with it.