Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tripod Head For 8x10? Arca Cube, Ries J250, Luland LD115, Acratech GXP

Drew Wiley

Re: Tripod Head For 8x10? Arca Cube, Ries J250, Luland LD115, Acratech GXP

For those relatively rare almost straight-down shots going headless, a simple strong L-bracket tapped 3/8-16 on both sides does the job at a fraction of the weight and expense of any suitable tripod head. I never bother packing one for the 8x10 and Ries combination. I could hypothetically order a Feisol half-sphere device for the big Feisol CF that I use as my lighter wt 8x10 support; and it would let me point quite steeply if needed.

For MF work with my much lighter Gitzo CF tripod, when I want to go especially light or portable (long distance backpacking or airline carry-on), I have a couple of these angle brackets, an extremely light but solid one made of aircraft aluminum for my 6x9 RF, and a slightly heavier stainless one for my P67. Both are just a few ounces. I do use a Gitzo pan-tilt head for routine MF work. But for the big 300 EDIF P67 lens, it's bolted right down to the platform top of one of same big tripods I use for 8x10. All of my tripods are suitable for my 4X5's, either monorail Sinar or Ebony folder; but I go headless in that case too.

Drew, I like your L-bracket idea. Is there a particular one you use/prefer?

I'm in the minority, but I like using a ball head with 8x10, and anything smaller.
    FLM CB-48FTR or CB-58FTR can handle the weight distribution very well, and both have a tilt lock function which makes levelling the camera a breeze.

When I don't need a ball head, I use a QR clamp mounted to a half-ball, which usually gives me all the range of motion I need, and keeps the centre of gravity low.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    So why not get the real stuff instead of a Chinese copy?
    The reason I ordered Luland is because they have tripod head models with fast plates. I ordered a longer 150mm fast plate which will have three 3/8" bolts/screws that will attach to the camera. This should provide a very solid and secure 3-point connection between the camera and the head. I feel for use cases that require a vertically downward or upward tilt, an extra secure connection is more important than it is for a relatively level shot. Ries do not offer models with fast plates so there is only one point of connection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4119496798-5.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	212074

Name:	p4119496799-5.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	212075

In any case I think I am going to utilize the half-ball/levelling-base for most of my use cases to reduce weight and not use a tripod-head most of the time. 20-30 degrees of adjustment should be fine most of the time.

Name:	p4119499911-5.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	212078

I think this is what ^ Ari is suggesting.

Not using a tripod head works well most of the time, right up until it doesn't. If you know that you'll always be on a flat surface shooting horizontally, then you should be fine. But if you're not, then you risk not getting a shot. For me, that's a much bigger cost than the added weight and cost of the head.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

For what camera?

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    For what camera?
    I did not mention the camera on purpose, so as to not influence the conversation, but now that I have made my mind the camera I am getting is a SpenopeiKa Leonardo.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Not using a tripod head works well most of the time, right up until it doesn't ... that's a much bigger cost than the added weight and cost of the head.
    That's a very fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by jamgolf View Post
    In any case I think I am going to utilize the half-ball/levelling-base for most of my use cases to reduce weight and not use a tripod-head most of the time. 20-30 degrees of adjustment should be fine most of the time.

Name:	p4119499911-5.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	212078

I think this is what ^ Ari is suggesting.
    That's right. I attach a quick-release clamp directly to the half ball. For what I shoot (buildings and portraits), this set-up is fine about 90% of the time.
    The ball head comes out when I need to shoot up or down at more than a 15 degree tilt.