Thread: Massive Negative Reduction with Enlarger

Massive Negative Reduction with Enlarger

I woke up thinking about this, mostly because my 5X7 Elwood came with a reduction extension cone

A quick search showed APUG had this discussion in 2018 with many of our members giving great answers

A ?, is a reduction from LFPF definition of LF as 4X5 and larger still Large Format for posting images?

#2 ? are APUG links allowed on LFPF

Just in case not, use these words to find what I now know..........

massive reduction with enlarger

I will need to do this for contact printing Postcards
    Tin Can

Re: Massive Negative Reduction with Enlarger

There is no magnification on a digital image (all posted images are digital).

When making the prints, heed the minimum subject to film distance to focus, which is 4 x the focal length. Don't setup the enlarger with anything less than this, otherwise you will never get a focused image.

Thank you

I have been lost in long bellows a few times

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    There is no magnification on a digital image (all posted images are digital).

When making the prints, heed the minimum subject to film distance to focus, which is 4 x the focal length. Don't setup the enlarger with anything less than this, otherwise you will never get a focused image.
    Tin Can

If you want to make a 4x5 print from 5x7 negative, one way to get the measurements is to print a 4x5 negative to 5x7. Your lens focal length, enlarger head position, and baseboard will stay the same. Measure the lens to print distance and make that your new lens to negative distance. This will now project 5x7 to 4x5. You should be able to zero in on focus from there. Since printing the reduction increases the resolution, I have found no need to reverse the lens. One might consider reversing the lens if making reduced NEGATIVES that will later be enlarged.

This works with both a 150mm lens and 210mm lens. If using the 210mm lens, you will need much more bellows extension, but you will get more room under the lens to focus.

It's OK to provide the link.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...larger.163816/

The capture is LF, so it meets our definition even considered strictly. And I don't think we're at risk of being flooded with threads about a technique that's useful only for very occasional special situations.

Drew Wiley

Ideally, you need a lens intended for this kind of magnification ratio. Ordinary enlarger lenses are not ideal. For enlarging 4x5 originals onto 8x10 film, or within 8x10 film to a size roughly approximating 5x7, I use a 240/f9 Apo Nikkor process lens. A 180/9 Apo Nikkor would also be good, although they are relatively uncommon. The receiving film is punched and place on register pins on a black phenolic vacuum board firmly clamped to the enlarger baseboard. I also have a vacuum adapted 8x10 filmholder when pin registration is not needed. Or one of my adhesive filmholder could also be used to keep the film flat. The original is placed in a carrier equipped with Anti-Newton glass on both sides.

Of course, I am speaking about precise film duplicates or internegatives. But the same principles apply to reduced print sizes, even though the foregoing advice might be overkill for something as simple as a postcard contact neg.

Pin registration is being noted because it is helpful for alignment in double-negative technique : 4X5 to 5x7 interpostitive. Interpositive contact printed to obtain enlarged internegative. Final master interneg used to contact print 1:1 prints.

Enlarging paper does not have enough resolution to require anything other than one's standard enlarging lens. The magnification ratio for a reduction is nothing different than any other enlargement one would produce, the numbers are just reversed.

en-smalling to negs that contact print well, inside 3-1/2 X 5" ancient postcard SG FB paper

most likely high contrast symbolism

custom fit for friends, family, not so much here

it's the thought that counts

in my world

TBD
    Tin Can