Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how do I use the same lenses for different cameras?

Re: how do I use the same lenses for different cameras?

In my case I startged out with a pre annaversary Speed Graphic (4x5 ) and made my own lens boards from plywood.

Then I got an 8x10 Kodak 2D and put my one lens that would cover on a shop made board.

Later on I got a Wista 45DX with those cuter little Toyo-Linhof notched boards. Got three lenses for that rig (90-150-210) on compatible boards.

These now can be mounted on the 2D using an adapter board on the Kodak (the 90 won't cover at infinity of course).

However, there is a long-plan to set up a Packard shutter and vintage brass lens on a dedicated wooden board for the Kodak.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    lol... am I the only one who just bought multiple lenses and use dedicated boards?
    You must be much richer than I am. Two examples of many lenses ...

My only lens on a dedicated board is too big to use on my "small board" cameras. All of the others are on small boards. That may change, I now have at least one very fat lens that won't go on my small board camera. Haven't found an inexpensive large board for it yet.

Alternative method, stay with a single camera system for all view camera images.

Bernice

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You must be much richer than I am. Two examples of many lenses ...

My only lens on a dedicated board is too big to use on my "small board" cameras. All of the others are on small boards. That may change, I now have at least one very fat lens that won't go on my small board camera. Haven't found an inexpensive large board for it yet.
    LOL... who knows who has more money... nothing I care to compare.

The secret is being frugal and having a well-curated small assortment of cameras and lenses.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by bernice loui View Post
    alternative method, stay with a single camera system for all view camera images.

Bernice
    bingo

I think the Technika board is a really good candidate. There are even adapters available to mount them on MF cameras. I use lenses in Technika boards on my Mamiya RB67 as well as my Fuji GX680. Both of which use bellows focusing. I also have a set of extension tubes for the Mamiya.Where you do run into problems doing this is with shorter lenses.

A long time ago, I began collecting "MC" (this goes way back) reduction lensboards that take a smaller, circular, "bayonet" mounted board. They made reduction adapters for many cameras, including a reduction adapter for Linhof Technika cameras. (No kidding.) So, I can use lenses every which way on different camera systems.

I have one large lens that won't fit on these boards, a 610mm Repro Claron mounted on an Alphax V shutter, so it's mounted to a Sinar board which of course fits my Sinar camera, and it can be mounted via an adapter to my 171mm Arca camera.

In fact, as I recall, Cambo may have made a reduction adapter for Sinar lensboards. So, that may be an option worth exploring for your Cambo. Not as small as the Technika boards, but smaller than the Cambo boards.

davidar: There are many workable options. Whatever seems to work out for you . . .please let us know what you do in this.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

How do wide angle lenses fare with the Technika/Cambo adapters? Don't they require a recessed board, at least for the Cambo?
    Last edited by Pieter; 31-Jan-2021 at 11:28. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    How do wide angle lense fare with the Technika/Cambo adapters? Don't they require a recessed board, at least for the Cambo?
    Pieter, it depend on the lens and on the camera.

Example. I started shooting 2x3 with Graphics. 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic and Century Graphic, accumulated many lenses for them. Among the wide angles, 35/4.5 Apo-Grandagon, 47/5.6 Super Angulon, 58/5.6 Konica Hexanon ex-Koni-Omegaflex, 58/5.6 Grandagon, 60/14 Perigraphe (front mounted on an Ilex #3), 65/8 Ilex, ... Then I was given a 2x3 Cambo SC-I. Skgrimes attached a 2x3 Pacemaker Graphic standard to a flat SC-1 lens board with the standard's light trap recessed ~ 1 mm. This so that I didn't have to buy lotsa 2x3 Cambo boards, swap lenses back and forth or abandon the Graphics. I assembled a hybrid Cambo (2x3 front standard, 4x5 rear standard, home made tapered bag bellows) so I could shoot 6x12. All of the lenses mentioned will focus to infinity on the flat board with Graphic standard, all but the 35 with movements. For lenses 90 mm and longer on Graphic boards, I replace my bag bellows with a Cambo SF-76 tapered bellows. BTW, the hybrid is a 4x5 camera that accepts 2x3 and 6x12 roll holders.