Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No darkroom blues

Matt Alexander

Re: No darkroom blues

I use foil-backed foam insulation board to plug up windows - available at any home center. It's easy to cut with a simple knife, and deforms a bit to wedge it in for a tight seal. Cheap. Easy to remove, does no damage. I like to use the foil tape on joints.
    I've never done a whole doorway but don't see why it wouldn't work. With a minimal amount of support, I could even see building the walls of an entire small temporary darkroom with the stuff.
    Even monkeys fall from trees -- Japanese proverb

If your bathroom has a combination vent-fan/light fixture...just replace the light bulb with a small darkroom bulb, black-tape two layers of 3-mil black plastic over any windows, run some adhesive-backed black foam weather stripping on the inside of the hinged-side of the door frame, with strips of doubled over black tape surrounding the other three door edges (on the side that opens towards you), and you have a (ventilated) darkroom!

My first darkroom in Japan was in the kitchen corner. Big windows had to be covered up, but my wife wouldn't let me. Forget about the bathroom. Too small. And my wife would have flipped. So, the kitchen corner it was. It was tiny... about 4'x4'. Black out material for walls, but could never get it light tight enough for daytime work. All work was done when the sun went down. It got very suffocating in there!

I forgot last DR, I sealed my 2 steel doors with weather stripping and the windows were never opened

It was so tight I had to find fresh air from behind the bathtub, it was in a big condo conversion that was sealed too tight

I plumbed 23 ft of ARKAY sinks to a pipe that drained into the bathtub, they were mounted in a U, so one pipe connected all

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    If your bathroom has a combination vent-fan/light fixture...just replace the light bulb with a small darkroom bulb, black-tape two layers of 3-mil black plastic over any windows, run some adhesive-backed black foam weather stripping on the inside of the hinged-side of the door frame, with strips of doubled over black tape surrounding the other three door edges (on the side that opens towards you), and you have a (ventilated) darkroom!
    Tin Can

In the 1970s when I was a student at RIT I would be out every weekend shooting with my 35mm Nikon SLR and/or my 8x10 B&J. After I got back at the end of the day to the townhouse that we rented from September to May I always wanted to process my film. We had a smallish main bathroom upstairs and a half bathroom downstairs. In the upstairs bathroom I would fill the tub with water and then put a piece of plywood over 3/4 of it. On this were my trays.after fixing the prints, I dropped them into the partially water filled tub. At the end of the session I would put my trays away and place the prints in a tray or two of Permawash. Then back into a water filled tub for the final wash. On the toilet with the seat down I put my 35mm Durst enlarger. Used it for enlarging 35mm negatives and making contact prints. Paper, times, safelight, and other things were placed on the sink. During my last year there I processed dozens and dozens of rolls of 35mm film, and probably 200+ sheets of 8x10 Super-XX. Many of the 8x10 contact prints I dry mounted on 16x20 boards. Still have them and not one has stained or faded. As I remember ventilation was to be had by turning on the ceiling fan every now and then. FB prints were dried on screens in my bedroom. If there's a need and will, there is a way.