Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No darkroom blues

No darkroom blues

I'm not sure this goes in this forum so please advise me if it needs to be moved.

The problem I have is, simply stated, I have no darkroom - at least for a year or two.
    During the last several years I have accumulated most of the equipment I'll need (includes Bessler 45MXT and an automated color print processor) but I have no place to set it up.
    I can process 135 and 120 film in a Lab-Box and scan them digitally but I'm looking for solutions to process 4x5 negatives and prints.
    All comments and advice will be graciously accepted.

Thank you
    _Karl

Re: No darkroom blues

Quote Originally Posted by _Karl View Post
    I'm not sure this goes in this forum so please advise me if it needs to be moved.

The problem I have is, simply stated, I have no darkroom - at least for a year or two.
    During the last several years I have accumulated most of the equipment I'll need (includes Bessler 45MXT and an automated color print processor) but I have no place to set it up.
    I can process 135 and 120 film in a Lab-Box and scan them digitally but I'm looking for solutions to process 4x5 negatives and prints.
    All comments and advice will be graciously accepted.

Thank you
    _Karl
    Do you have a bathroom?
    They often make great dark rooms.
    I haven't had the run of a real dark room--- outside of High School---ever!

It takes about ten minutes to convert our guest wc into a dark room, slightly less for the kid's bathroom which has more counter space, and about fifteen minutes to put everything back to normal.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Set up your 4x5 enlarger in a bathroom and develop both 4x5 negatives and prints in Jobo drums.
    Buy a unicolor motor base, $40,
    Use a Jobo 3063 drum to develop prints up to to 20x24" ($250)
    Use a Jobo 3006 drum (6 sheets) for 4x5 negative development ($350-400).

I'm in the same situation. Does anyone have recommendations for blocking up windows and entryways? I could potentially use my kitchen since I'm in an apartment but I have 2 windows and an archway that are all sources of letting in light. Not sure if that's more trouble than my bathroom which has absolutely no room for my enlarger and trays. At least in the kitchen I would have more space. I'm just not sure how to make it all light tight.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Excuse the mess (it's cleaning day) but here's what I would have to contend with to get light tight. The one entryway and the two windows.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

You can buy a roll of heavy black plastic. One layer of that is probably good, but I used two, because I'm an ARSOB. Gorilla tape will make it less likely to come off when you want it to than when you don't.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Where there's a will there's a way.

My first personal "darkroom" was a bedroom with no water and two big west-facing windows. Two layers of black-out curtains and still couldn't do anything till well past dark. For film I used a cramped half-bath to develop.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Karl, because I was always moving, and never owned my own place until a couple of years ago, I lived without a darkroom for about 32 years. I accumulated the gear, and just kept moving it around, or setting up what I could for a make shift darkroom. Here is what I did to break the blues. I went on darkroom vacations! I would rent a great darkroom for a few days, and get my work done. I spent one snowy few days at Photographer’s Formulary staying at their B&B. It was fun. I would look into this place which rents out its darkroom: https://vcphoto.org/membership/become-a-member/. Maybe your area has a place like this. I also used a college darkroom in Yuma, AZ to do work for a color exhibit.

For Darkroom I blacked out a spare bedroom, first white 'blackout' plastic so the window looks normal, then a layer of Tin Foil topped with Reflectix, then 1/4" plywood and finally my wall mount enlarger over the window, with heavy screws, really heavy screws

All stuff I already had, then sink and DIY plumbing

Soon I will fully blackout the 'Living Room' aka studio, no furniture now or later. I already have 'Black' blackout curtains, cheap at Walmart. The windows are all good double pane, but the storms and winds are increasing. A tornado hopped over my location 2 years ago. So now I will install R-Tech 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Insulation Sheathing. Cut to exact size and secured in case of window breakage, Might save my studio gear if the windows break.

Then the curtains again, and my Back drop rollers with paper which I bought used years ago

I also made two 8 X8' V-cards, I am glad I kept them when I moved

My last living space was even more modified, it sold easily

I am in a contest with this ancient home, we both try to remain upright or go together

So it goes
    Tin Can

I once set up a darkroom in an under stairs cupboard. I got an old hi-fi separates rack, put the enlarger at the top, then used the four shelves below for the chemicals plus a final water bath. I had to do everything seated or crouching and this was 30 years ago so I wouldn't do it now! But I could produce good prints with that set up to 12x16". Biggest advantage was I didn't have to black out any windows and I could leave it set up.