Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New article by Stan. Laurenson-Batten: SH 612 Multi-format Roll Film Holder

Re: New article by Stan. Laurenson-Batten: SH 612 Multi-format Roll Film Holder

Ohhh Ahhh egghh!!!
    I just got some 120-film rolls back from the lab, shot with the ShenHao 6x12 Variable format back and those '*@!&4*!? lightstreaks are back again! I still think the light comes in through the darkslide-slit...even though I did not pull the slide out completely.

Since I am using the holder for handheld photography, I want a solution which does not include having a darkcloth covering the side where the slide runs. Too many things on the camera already.

Are there any suggestions how to create a better light-trap than the one currently on/in the holder today?
    Last edited by Patrik Roseen; 16-Aug-2006 at 08:04.

All the Chinese Roll Film Backs have leaks, reported on various mainland china forum.

ShenHao, DaYi, Gao (Not sure about the name, but this is the cheapest, they also make the 617). Some of the holder get fixed by their owner afters some trail and error.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrik Roseen View Post
    Ohhh Ahhh egghh!!!

Are there any suggestions how to create a better light-trap than the one currently on/in the holder today?
    I'm not familiar with your RFH but is there any way how you can get to the existing light-trap to see it? Can you open it in some way to see it? You could then think of some way to change the light trapping "substance".

Quote Originally Posted by David Nardi View Post
    Has anyboy tried the Cambo 6x12 film back? I've owned mine for almost 3 years now without a single problem. ...
    Are there any dissadvantages? ....

David
    I've been shooting on a Cambo 6x12 for about 10 years now. Many people reported problems with Cambo RFHs. I needed to eliminate a light leak at the taking spool end but it was easy done with a black tape. Once I needed to get new parts for the winding mechanism (with great help from a Cambo repairman who sent me the parts) but after that there were no more problems. Actually I like it - I got familiar with it during my repairs and I know what it wants - no forced winding.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    I'm not familiar with your RFH but is there any way how you can get to the existing light-trap to see it? Can you open it in some way to see it? You could then think of some way to change the light trapping "substance".
    Thanks for your concern GPS.

I do not own any digital camera, so I can not publish any picture of the 'lighttrap'.
    I tried explaning it once but I do not think people understood what I was trying to say ;-)

(I was actually going to buy a digital camera 18 months ago when I happened to read about LF-photography and decided to go the analog LF route instead...and although I have 2.5 decades til retirement I wish I had discovered LF much earlier!)

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    All the Chinese Roll Film Backs have leaks, reported on various mainland china forum.

ShenHao, DaYi, Gao (Not sure about the name, but this is the cheapest, they also make the 617). Some of the holder get fixed by their owner afters some trail and error.
    Will, do they say anything about how they fix the lightleaks on those mainland china forum websites?

Couldn't you cover the black cloth in the light trap you're describing with black flocked paper? Just a try... There must be a way how you can make it better.

To all who may be concerned: My SH 612 is now in light proof order. The light trap can be made more efficient by using one half inch wide velvet ribbon at both ends of the case. Secure with evo-stick. I have had no problems since.

That's what I thought. Self adhesive flocked paper would have the same effect.

I had an intermittent problem with light streaks. I solved it by pulling the dark slide out under the camera's dark cloth.

Dave