Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 wide camera, similar to a Sinar Handy or Linhof Technar

DirkFletcher

4x5 wide camera, similar to a Sinar Handy or Linhof Technar

Here is a new 4x5 wide camera I finished built from a Cambo standard, lens board and GG back. The camera uses a zone focusing 65mm f/8 Super Angulon in a focusing helical and has a rotating 4x5 Cambo Graflock/Universal back. The camera has two permanently mounted Arca Swiss plates, one on the bottom and a larger 150mm plate on the side that doubles as a hand grip and a vertical tripod mounting location. A removable Russian (Russar) 20mm finder is used and mounted with enough room to allow the back to rotate.

The camera is quite similar to a Sinar Handy, Linhof Technar or Burke & James Orbitar only more affordable than the Sinar or Linhof and much more attractive than the B&J!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 281D2E1C-EE7B-4D36-AF97-B908F89A4EF3.jpg   182ECBD4-20C2-4A69-BF08-E259C10AD8A3.jpg   746F1B45-D8E8-4910-AC5A-6F2A26F0C2D3.jpg  

Re: 4x5 wide camera, similar to a Sinar Handy or Linhof Technar

Excellent work Dirk!

I pasted a hyperfocal chart to the back of my homemade Norma Handy, that's all I need.

I have owned the Russar 20mm finder, it's actually quite excellent.

You will have some fun with this one.

Ashton Pond Norma Handy HRU Mic-X by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's one I shot last Summer on some Fuji HRU XRay film 65mm F8 Super Angulon with Center Filter and YG 103 Sinar Yellow Glass Disk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
    ― Mark Twain

Very nice....

Very long time ago (1970s) constructed a similar camera but with a 47mm Super Angulon. Seller (ad in the original newspaper grade Shutterbug) claimed that the lens covered 4x5... eventually came to find out that the 47/5.6 SA only covered 123 mm :-(. Back then was "buyer beware" and returns a pipe dream.

About 10 years ago made a similar 4x5 camera using a Sinar auxiliary standard with a Sinar shutter and a 28mm PC Nikkor mounted on a Sinar lens board. Image produced was an approximately 3.5" circular image. By complete chance, the lens focused as indicated on the focus ring, boy was I lucky. You have encouraged me to reconstruct that same "camera" configuration again and shoot some more WA circular images with it...

thanks

DirkFletcher

That sounds fantastic. I remember reading an article somewhere awhile back by a guy who set a Canon 17mm t/s in a Copal 3 and was getting about a 6x8 transparency! I might have to Google around a bit and see if I can find it again.
    Dirk

DirkFletcher

I’ve seen your Handy, it’s quite nice! I’d love to find a 43mm finder like you did as it should be a near perfect match in both angle of view and ratio. It’s $$$ though!
    Dirk

Dirk that's genius...the back directly to the standard - the grip incorporating one of the two lens plates. Question: is an extra tool needed to switch out those lens plates?

DirkFletcher

nope, thats why the standard has been rotated so the slider thingy is on the film load side and not on top. I bought a parts 4x5 camera and built two similar cameras. The second one is a bit different but quite similar, I'll post that one shortly when it is done as well.

Dirk

M.A. Wikstrom

I did something very similar with a 75mm lens. Use it for 4x5, 6x12, and 6x7. At 6x7 it's almost a normal focal length, so instead of changing lenses I change formats.

DirkFletcher

That’s so cool, never thought of it that way but super clever!

Dirk

I’m curious about the helical and would like info on;
    Where obtained, diameter of opening, how is it attached to the camera and how is the lens attached?
    Would be grateful for any information, thanks