Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chemical storage question

Lascassas, TN

Re: Chemical storage question

A trick for glass bottles is to add glass marbles to bring the liquid to the top. This removes air. The marbles are reusable. Soda bottles with air squeezed out works. This was recommended by Bruce Barlow in his Large Format classes and has worked well for me.
    Bill Kumpf

Old School Wayne

I can't imagine why people would still use glass and go to all the added trouble of buying and adding (and later washing) marbles, or inert gasses, when #1 PET/PETE is everywhere in most sizes except very small, doesn't break (not even when it freezes) and is just superior in every way. (some claim it doesn't work long term, but that's not true...it will preserve developers for at least several years) To each his own though. I only use glass for very small amounts of solutions that aren't very susceptible to oxidation like my 10% KBr or Benzotriazole, things like that, where I don't have to worry about keeping them full.

Lascassas, TN

That is the type of question my kids ask when I set up the 4x5 with film when I have a nice DSLR on the shelf. Glass is what I have and it works. PET/PETE is another option.
    Bill Kumpf

One more question for you PETE experts, since I haven't tried it. Two L would be a good size for my selenium toner and would allow visual inspection for precipitates (I know about filtering it). Any issue there?

Thanks.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Old School Wayne

59 oz Orange Juice bottles are just a bit shy of 2 liters when you fill them to the top.

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kumpf View Post
    That is the type of question my kids ask when I set up the 4x5 with film when I have a nice DSLR on the shelf. Glass is what I have and it works.
    That's as good a reason as any to use it. Glass also works well for larger volumes, if you print large. I still use my gallon size glass bottles for hauling fix to the photo shop for silver recovery, and occasionally when I mix up 10 liter batches of RA chemicals. The only gallon size plastics I can find are HDPE although I just used 3 year old RA Blix that was stored in one and it worked good as new.

It is embarrassing to admit this, but decades ago when I was a grad student living in a cheap apartment, I learned the hard way not to store my chemicals in my closet in re-used milk jugs. The jugs readily leak. That ruined my beloved old trunk on which the jugs rested. A lesson learned that I have never forgotten.

Anyone have an answer on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    One more question for you PETE experts, since I haven't tried it. Two L would be a good size for my selenium toner and would allow visual inspection for precipitates (I know about filtering it). Any issue there?

Thanks.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I agree the orange juice bottles are quite nice and sturdy. I've put solvents and brake fluid in them and they held up fine. I don't reuse selenium toner so can't help with your question.

Old School Wayne

I'm no chemical engineer but don't know why it wouldn't work. I've used them for Ilfochrome bleach. I rarely use selenium either, I think I've bought one bottle in my life