Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Current 8x10 B&W Film?

Re: Favorite Current 8x10 B&W Film?

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    For film, Adox CHS II 100 and the CatLabs 80 speed stuff are loaded in holders. I guess I have a thing for classic style emulsions.
    Adox CHS II 100 is a very fine film indeed. Nearly as good as FP4+, and at half the cost in the EU. I prefer classic emulsions as well.

Do you now sell black glass coated Dry plates?

Seems to be an interest

I’ve been enjoying experimenting with dry plate ambrotypes: Black glass coated with my ASA 25 emulsion and developed to a positive.

For film, Adox CHS II 100 and the CatLabs 80 speed stuff are loaded in holders. I guess I have a thing for classic style emulsions.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Do you now sell black glass coated Dry plates?

Seems to be an interest
    On a limited basis, Randy, while I work on refining the results. I’ve started listing in the Experimental section of the store when I coat enough to box up, so that folks can experiment with them and help contribute to the knowledge base on these.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Very good!

I must wait until PayDay

On a limited basis, Randy, while I work on refining the results. I’ve started listing in the Experimental section of the store when I coat enough to box up, so that folks can experiment with them and help contribute to the knowledge base on these.
    Tin Can

Fuji Acros is my favorite mostly due to the reciprocity characteristics being much better any other B&W film. Used for 617 format.

For 5x7 and 8x10, I prefer Ilford FP4+ since Acros is not available.

FP4 and Delta 100. For landscape work and still lifes.

Foamer

I shoot FP4 in just about all formats. It's easy to work with. I process with HC110. I photo outdoors almost entirely.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Drew Wiley

I use several options, often depending on what's leftover from lab usage. But for shooting in the field, my current favorite 8x10 product is unquestionably TMY400. Very long scale that will resolve deep shadow gradation. Fine grain yet good edge acutance. Wide development contrast versatility (I generally use staining pyro), excellent quality control, doesn't scratch or scuff easily. Good reciprocity characteristics. Fast speed at true 400 box speed, helpful with our local windy conditions.

Favorite 8x10 film ever : Bergger 200; longest straight line since Super-XX and not quite as grainy, but still too grainy in my opinion for smaller formats like 4x5.

Earlier favorite: HP5. Again, too grainy for smaller formats, and too much of a toe for high contrast scenes unless masked, but lovely up to 3X magnification of softer scenes.

The dependable workhorse film : FP4. A bit slow for 8x10, so gotta watch out for the wind. It won't dig quite as deep into shadows as either speed of TMax; but rating it at 50 helps with shadow gradation. The best beginner film in my opinion (TMax has to be more carefully metered).

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I've always enjoyed slow film for my LF and ULF work. Efke 25 has been my go to film in all formats. I still have several boxes of 8x10 and a few sheets left in 11x14 and 8x20. They never made any in 14x17 to my knowledge but I have a couple boxes of Bergger 200 and J&C 200 in the freezer in 14x17 along with the Shanghai GP3 100 film. I agree with Drew about the Bergger, love that film. If I ever run out of freezer stock ( I'll most likely die before that happens) my plan would be to go to FP4.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

For years (at least 10) I have been using Delta 100 and Acros for 8x10 and printing primarily in an alternative format. Of the two, I prefer Acros. However recently I have been shooting Kodak TMY 400 in 35 and 120 and absolutely adore the gorgeous negatives it produces and despite its cost will switch to it when my current supply of Acros and Delta is depleted.