Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Current 8x10 B&W Film?

Favorite Current 8x10 B&W Film?

What's your current favorite 8x10 black & white film, and why? A note about what you're photographing with it would be useful as well.

I ask because I'm preparing to use the 8x10 I've owned for over 40 years but not used since 1981. I expect to use it for some studio portraits (with modern studio strobes), landscapes, and architecture.

I've ordered 35mm samples of several films also available in 8x10 to test them at much lower cost and to get comfortable with processing film again (yes, I know tray processing of sheet film is different than tank processing 35mm).

Re: Favorite Current 8x10 B&W Film?

I quickly moved to 8X10 X-Ray film when I started here as it was cheap to learn on

Find our X-Ray threads

The really good X-Ray film is gone, but plenty of cheap 8X10 remains, I suggest this bargain, buy a case, as it ships better
    https://www.zzmedical.com/analog-x-r...-ray-film.html

In USA I shop here for REAL film https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ma
    Tin Can

My preference is for Ilford HP-5+ in most cases, sometimes FP-4+ from Badger Graphic. Also Ilford Ortho Plus 80 when I can find it.
    I keep a variety of film in the freezer (Arista.edu Ultra, Xray) just in case of a repeat of a few years (decades?) ago when Ilford filed for bankruptcy protection at the same time Kodak halted production to set up a new facility and sheet film suddenly became unobtainium for a while.
    Subjects? Landscapes, occasionally architecture, night photography and old rusty stuff.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I shoot mostly outdoor scenes and my favorites are Tri-X, FP-4+, and Fomapan 100. The latter two are developed mostly in Pyrocat-HD. I really like the tonal characteristics of Fomapan 100 and, before the pandemic changed our world, it was a very reasonable price from fotoimpex for 50 sheets. Nowadays, the DHL surcharge for shipping into the USA makes this stock about as expensive as anything else.

HP-5 . . .

Long live Ilford.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Consider TMAX400 (TMY) if you intend to do any alt-process printing that requires UV exposure. Because it has no UV-blocking your print exposures will be much shorter than with other films. Yes, the cost...

I use FP4. Great looking film, and it plays so well with Rodinal.
    Great setup for people like me who do not process film that often (once a week at most). Rodinal lasts forever.
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

Very good to know Steve

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Consider TMAX400 (TMY) if you intend to do any alt-process printing that requires UV exposure. Because it has no UV-blocking your print exposures will be much shorter than with other films. Yes, the cost...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    To the best of my knowledge only tmax100 has this uv blocking property. So for alt process printing, tmy would be fine, but so would be any of the ilford films, foma, bergger etc.

I’ve been enjoying experimenting with dry plate ambrotypes: Black glass coated with my ASA 25 emulsion and developed to a positive.

For film, Adox CHS II 100 and the CatLabs 80 speed stuff are loaded in holders. I guess I have a thing for classic style emulsions.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com