Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this Fungus ? I canīt identify, need help

Re: Is this Fungus ? I canīt identify, need help

Yes, regluing will solve it, but something this minor doesn't qualify as a practical problem. It may remain steady like this for years. I'd be especially careful to avoid temperature shocks, though, like leaving the camera bag in a car trunk.

This doesn't look like a balsam separation. I doubt even wide open something this minor would have an effect. I have a few Protars I have not fixed yet, and ring of crystallized brown balsam extends a couple cm into the lens. Stopped down, the lenses work fine. Compared to that, this is nothing. You'd be going to a lot of trouble to fix something that is merely cosmetic, but if that is very important to you, it can be fixed. Getting a lens like this apart, glued with what I assume is an older synthetic glue, can be a challenge. If the individual pieces of glass don't have identical diameters, you can add centering issues to your trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Yes, regluing will solve it, but something this minor doesn't qualify as a practical problem. It may remain steady like this for years. I'd be especially careful to avoid temperature shocks, though, like leaving the camera bag in a car trunk.

This doesn't look like a balsam separation. I doubt even wide open something this minor would have an effect. I have a few Protars I have not fixed yet, and ring of crystallized brown balsam extends a couple cm into the lens. Stopped down, the lenses work fine. Compared to that, this is nothing. You'd be going to a lot of trouble to fix something that is merely cosmetic, but if that is very important to you, it can be fixed. Getting a lens like this, glued with what I assume is an older synthetic glue, can be a challenge.
    Okay, that sounds good. This heavy lens should be just living in a studio, so I think there should be no problem with that, thanks

A separation, cleaning and re balsaming will work perfectly, but really this so minor that I wouldn’t bother.

Here is a similar example - found on EBay!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4CF29A00-35C4-4632-85E3-7BB93998DEEB.jpg  

That is not balsam separation in my opinion. The pattern plus the rainbow suggest a more modern cement.

It’s adhesive failure in the doublet, ie “balsam separation” although this lens is too new to have used balsam. This is what failure of modern adhesive looks like. I’d bet it wasn’t originally cured properly.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com