Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripods: Is Carbon Fiber worth the extra cost?

Tripods: Is Carbon Fiber worth the extra cost?

I'm looking to get a small tripod, mainly for a Fujifilm X-E1 APSc digital camera used with old 35mm lenses, but also for use with a light half-plate Japanese field camera with a 4x5 back. In the tripod models I have been looking at, the carbon fiber version is almost twice the price of the aluminum version. All other specs except material and weight are the same (e.g., same size, extension, ball head, rated weight load).

In your experience, is a carbon fiber tripod worth the difference in price over an aluminum model?

Thanks,
    Bob

Photographer

Re: Tripods: Is Carbon Fiber worth the extra cost?

If you’re using a tripod in winter in Chicago, CF will be much more comfortable.
    Keith Pitman

Pretty much just a matter of how much weight you want to schlep around. If you were shooting ULF or even 8 x 10 I suspect the weight differential wouldn't be that significant for your pack mules,but for MF or half plate maybe as a % of the total weight it might be worth it. In my case I have a couple of CF tripods and I like them - on the other hand I have a 30 pound Majestic that I love - but it pretty much stays in one place. I have a "three legged thing" CF pod that I like to use with my Hasselblad because it's short enough and light enough - not the sturdiest tripod ever but it fits in my carry on suitcase - not that that's so important right now. When we went to Europe a few years back I took the little CF tripod because it left more weight for cameras and film. And the cost of the tripod was essentially zero compared to the cost of the trip, and since I didn't have any pack mules (or even a cooperative wife who really wanted to carry camera gear) it made sense. YMMV

It might be a psychological thing, but for me CF is worth the extra money. The simple idea that I have to carry a heavy tripod along with all my LF gear, where it can be done more lightweight, sets me off. However, I did several days hikes and in the end your muscles get trained just as well with a few pounds more or less. So I don’t know. The most important thing is how you carry, not so much the weight itself. I bought a tripod that I can pack inside my backpack which is much more convenient than outside. I own a Leica SL which is quite heavy, but it’s amazing how much more comfortable a PeakDesign strap carries than its original strap, it really feels lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_feldman View Post
    In your experience, is a carbon fiber tripod worth the difference in price over an aluminum model?

I am a big fan of Gitzo aluminum tripods. I love these things, mostly because they are beautiful and inexpensive. The Studex tripods are very sturdy, and you can get them second hand for not much money. The Gitzo Safari Studex with the inverted legs really smells like adventure!

But they are heavy, and as thecentercolumn.com says, not as damping as carbon tripods. https://thecentercolumn.com/2018/06/...minum-tripods/ this is a good resource. If i understood correctly, they say that even the worst carbon tripod dampens better than the best aluminum tripod ... But damping is not everything. A Gitzo aluminum is just great. A symbol of reliability!

Nevertheless, I cheated and tried two carbon tripods because of this review. A Gitzo GT5543LS, that costs second hand about $700. The resale value of Gitzo is high. That is already an argument. - And then a Leofoto Ranger LS-323C, https://leofoto.com/products_detail.php?id=238. This tripod has only three segments, which is important for me because of the inherent stability of this solution. It has 38 mm diameter. There is no center column, which is why you can fold it very narrow. It cost about $300.

Of course, the Gitzo is a blast. There's no wobble. But it weighs 2.8kg. It will hold everything there is in cameras, no question about it. But it's too heavy for hiking.

The Leofoto only weighs 1.4kg. And it fits nicely on the backpack. It holds the Technika at 3kg with a Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 9/360 at ~700g with no problems. I gave it a geared leveling head, $200, a Leofoto G2, https://leofoto.com/products_detail.php?id=352 The G2 does 10° in any direction. That's enough to level the camera. The head also holds the Technika very well. It also weighs only 360g. 1.8kg for a tripod with leveling head, that holds 20 kg. That's not much for this range of functions.

Is carbon stable? They say it breaks easier than aluminum. Well, I have a clamp on the tube. The clamp carries another clamp with the huge D. Trump memorial golf umbrella on it when it rains. Last weekend I was in a snow storm. I tightened the clamp a lot because the wind moved the umbrella. I took pictures with about 20 seconds. Neither did the carbon break because of my tight fixing, nor were the pictures blurred from the vibrations of the wind, nor did the tripod fall over because of the wind. I could have still hung the backpack on the hook under the tripod, but such a mass starts to swing in the wind, and there again the whole tripod swings.

In summary, I would say, try, borrow one. If you are convinced, get - as usually - the best you can afford. Be careful with carbon on electric fences.

Yes
    Tin Can

Yes... You can save money by acquiring a previous model CF tripod instead of shelling out for the latest model. A while back the Gitzo GT1541 CF tripod was replaced with the GT1542? model. Kept on looking for the discontinued GT1541 model and eventually found one (pretty much as new in its box) FS at a third of what B&H was selling them for. Former owner of the GT1541 wanted the latest model CF Gitzo. Made no matter to me for having and using an older discontinued model.

Do Carbon Fibre tripod legs have any more problems in really cold weather compare to metal? Talking sub zero (f) to around 50 below - but generally in the 10-25 below area.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Do Carbon Fibre tripod legs have any more problems in really cold weather compare to metal? Talking sub zero (f) to around 50 below - but generally in the 10-25 below area.
    I know it's not a definitive answer, but I have used my Gitzo in temperatures down to -20 F or so without any issues. No issues with the tripod that is, I can't say the same for myself...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Just get the sturdiest tripod that you can afford and carry. A CF tripod is ideal, but a flimsy CF tripod is a waste of money.