Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic circuit in D5 lens turret

Electronic circuit in D5 lens turret

My D5 lens turret (purchased used) has a 5 wire cable with din plug. In the square acrylic piece surrounding the lens opening, there appears to be 9 sensors of some sort. I assume this was some sort of autoexposure device. Sound right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5 lens turret.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	211562

Re: Electronic circuit in D5 lens turret

I can't get a real clear view of those supposed sensors, but they don't really look like such. Moreover, 5 contacts for 9 sensors would be an interesting puzzle, given the likely fairly simple circuitry that would be in integrated in such a module at the time this was engineered.

Can't this 'simply' be an electronic shutter, and the 'sensors' the pivoting points of 9 shutter blades?

Looks custom

but your image is already on this page

https://www.google.com/search?q=D5+l...w=1920&bih=950
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    I can't get a real clear view of those supposed sensors, but they don't really look like such. Moreover, 5 contacts for 9 sensors would be an interesting puzzle, given the likely fairly simple circuitry that would be in integrated in such a module at the time this was engineered.

Can't this 'simply' be an electronic shutter, and the 'sensors' the pivoting points of 9 shutter blades?
    I don't think so. Looking closely at the inside edge of the circular opening, I don't see anything remotely "movable". Three layers: topmost being clear acrylic/plastic material, a thicker layer of black acrylic/plastic material (into which I believe these sensors are embedded), any finally another layer of black acrylic/plastic/phenolic material.

These photos might give a better sense than my description.

Name:	D5 lens turret 2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	211627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5 lens turret 3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	211628

sensors... where? there are only 4 wires connected... red n green as power, the other 2 says on off most likely.

my guess, iris n shutter control or a focusing control. youd have to go in further to see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    sensors... where? there are only 4 wires connected... red n green as power, the other 2 says on off most likely.

my guess, iris n shutter control or a focusing control. youd have to go in further to see where it goes.
    I tried to show what I think is a sensor it the photo in my post #4. There are 5 wires connected, one wire is black so did not show well in the initial photo.

I'm still betting on some type of exposure control used is a commercial lab.

yeah i see it now. can you get a picture from the other side of the board? ... the back. black can be a common of an on off on switch.

exposure control is possable but it may just be a shutter blade hooked to a timer controled by a solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    I tried to show what I think is a sensor it the photo in my post #4. There are 5 wires connected, one wire is black so did not show well in the initial photo.

I'm still betting on some type of exposure control used is a commercial lab.
    I see what you mean now. The supposed sensors are still hard to see, but this is logical given the fact that they're below a layer of acrylic. I agree there doesn't seem to be much space for the leaves of a leaf shutter, which would have been my guess. Quite honestly, in your place, I would have gotten busy with a spanner and some screwdrivers by now to figure out what's inside that sandwich

Throw it away before you get in too deep!!

OK I have no idea, maybe for switching RGB filters for additive filtration for color???

Simmons had a cool dual filter system for Varigam VC papers, Five wires is a lot of possibility.

At first I thought it might be the shutter for the Omegalight, but I did find a picture and it is certainly different. Again, making it appear you have a unique device.

Name:	OmegaShutter.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	211644