Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark cloths on ebay

Dark cloths on ebay

Has anyone used the inexpensive dark cloths sold on ebay? I was wondering the pros and cons.

Thanks

Re: Dark cloths on ebay

I started out with a black sweat shirt: ?That worked well and I already had it.

Then my wife made me a dark cloth; black on one side, white on the other . . .with large-ish washers sewed into the corners.

Years later, I got a BTZS hood: That works well too.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I opted for a Chinese one, Etone I think it's called. It is OK, but I think it would be better if it were possible to stick the long edges to one another. If it is bright sunlight or snow on the ground I loose my concentration. It gets a bit cumbersome to hold them and then I get distracted. An easy fix would be to sow on velcro along the long edges. I use it for 4x5.

Erik

I was having such trouble seeing the ground glass with a traditional horse blanket that I opted for the hood design. It has made such a difference - a good one is an essential tool and is as helpful as any other part of the whole kit to taking a good photo.

Checked out Ebay..... but opted for the quality that The View Camera Store carries. WELL worth the money.

https://viewcamerastore.com/collecti...ood-dark-cloth

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisF View Post
    I was having such trouble seeing the ground glass with a traditional horse blanket that I opted for the hood design. It has made such a difference - a good one is an essential tool and is as helpful as any other part of the whole kit to taking a good photo.

Checked out Ebay..... but opted for the quality that The View Camera Store carries. WELL worth the money.

I have two of these, one for 8x10 and a second for "4x5". They're well made.

The 4x5 version works fine for my 6x9 view camera and works well enough on a Sinar F. As to the latter, it fits fine on the camera back, but the opening is too small to include the back and the rail at the same time. I'm pondering getting the 5x7 version for a larger sized 4x5 that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisF View Post

Thank you all.. will visit the View Camera Store tonight!

I like using duvetyne aka commando cloth

multiplex

The only dark cloth I have ever used is a sheet of felt purchased at Jo Anne fabrics probably 34 years ago. it cost about $3 and I have never had issue with it leaking light, not working and/or keeping the ground glass dark enough to focus or tweak movements. I'm not really sure what the mystique is about dark clothes or why someone would pay more than $3 for one. I guess ignorance is bliss

My bride sewed me a dark cloth about 20 years ago from leftover fabric. It still works fine.
    The white side is a little stained now but that's OK with me.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've tried some of the weird stuff, dark cloth in a bag or shirt things or even the viewcamera's version of dark cloth as bag over your head - which btw, is NOT a good idea in the summer unless you like struggling for air.

Traditional dark cloths seem to work best for me and is easiest to handle without messing with the puzzle of getting back out of it and NOT messing up the camera settings. Sounds like I'm a spaz, but no. Just saying the less restrictions the dark puts on you, your arms, your eyes, your space etc., the better in my view.

You aren't going to need more than one of these things every jillion years, so get something made well. I'm sure a spouse can add a certain something no pro can, but why push someone up the learning curve when the cost of materials, experience and the like means it might actually be cheaper or at least no more expensive to buy off the someone else's shelf? Here's a source someone found, made by a LF photographer for folks like us. I got a traditional one, but with summer and really year round have switched (yes, a 2nd one!) to one of their ultralights (which is made of spinnaker material - yes, I'm a sailor in my time, too). Very very highly recommended. Linked to this here: https://www.wandererphotogear.com/pr...ght-dark-cloth

Greatest benefit of the ultralights are that they literally fold up into a handful. VERY VERY small, and take no real space in your bag while still adding some padding.
    Last edited by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau; 23-Jan-2021 at 08:12. Reason: Forgot to add close