Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinhole Photography in 8x10?

Pinhole Photography in 8x10?

Anyone out there doing pinhole photography with 8x10 format materials?

What is your experience?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Pinhole Photography in 8x10?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Anyone out there doing pinhole photography with 8x10 format materials?

What is your experience?
    I've done a bit of it. Home made pinhole in thin brass, mounted on my Intrepid 8x10. Mostly I've used FP4 or HP5.

From the Flickr post:
    I used the Intrepid 8x10 camera and fitted it with a 0.5mm laser drilled pinhole. But first, I made a "preview pinhole" by drilling (with a standard drill bit!) a 2mm hole in a sheet of thin brass, and with that on the lens board I could see well enough to compose an image in bright light. I also "burned and dodged" the light with a piece of translucent plexi to adjust the amount and quality of light falling on the vase and table.
    Exposure was 3 minutes at f300
    HP5+ processed in Xtol 1:1

Here is an 8x10 pinhole self-portrait, printed as a cyanotype. Hand-made pinhole in brass. Litho film.

The 'camera' was a 250 sheet photopaper box instead of my normal 8x10 camera. I had a couple classes of kids make similar boxes. Lots of fun.

I have thought of buying a well-made pinhole or two for use on my 8x10 camera, but not a project high on my list presently.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CyanoSelfPort.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I use a Harman Titan 8x10 pinhole camera, primarily on Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day. I always shoot film, usually FP4, and contact print the negatives. I did shoot some color last year but have printed anything. The color was expired 160NC that came in film holders off Craigslist. I really like 8x10 pinhole.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0C106BF8-97E5-4CE5-B8CD-C12A9FC2DFE1.jpeg   75141BD6-AECB-4565-BFE1-EA506A579505.jpeg  

Basically a thin wooden box with a Burke & James wooden 8x10 back. Went through probably six different pinholes till I found the optimum one in a thin brass sheet with the back side and inside of the pinhole blackened. Inside the camera is covered with black very non-reflective flocking. Still have to fabricate a foldable rear peep sight to use with the folding Linhof? wire viewfinder frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8x10 pinhole.jpg   EndersPinhole8x10.jpg  
    Last edited by Greg; 17-Jan-2021 at 05:12. Reason: grammer correction

Great Stuff!

I ask because I am thinking of going larger than 8x10 and a pinhole set up would be a less expensive intro to ULF. Posted a similar thread the ULF Forum but got no response.

In my imagination, a camera back and one film holder would be the heart much as Greg has done (thanks Greg).

A different path might be the what some here have called an "Afghan" style of rigid big box camera with side sleeves to allow changing film.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Image moved internally to 2021 Selfies

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Here is an 8x10 pinhole self-portrait, printed as a cyanotype. Hand-made pinhole in brass. Litho film.

The 'camera' was a 250 sheet photopaper box instead of my normal 8x10 camera. I had a couple classes of kids make similar boxes. Lots of fun.

I have thought of buying a well-made pinhole or two for use on my 8x10 camera, but not a project high on my list presently.
    Tin Can

I will commit a LFPF crime and post my second LF image I ever made, a DIY 5X7 Oatmeal Box round tube with DIY pinhole

1998 as first assignment in my only photography class ever, first and all assignments on fiber SG as the instructor forbid any RC in his college Darkroom

I used that wonderful DR for 2 years without classes, 24/7, the college is now a grassy knoll

I also pissed off instructor by completing every assignment twice, exactly as he wanted and digitally after this print with a new Nikon Coolpix 100 1.3 MP camera that nobody knew was a camera!

The instructor and I remain in constant contact, we both have enemies here on this forum, he is not a member

Pinhole selfie 1998 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

I've got a Pinhole Resource Leonardo 8x10 super wide. 3" lens on 8x10. Fun to play with but it took me awhile to learn to use it. I've never used anything that wide in any format. Had to get over the initial wow factor. 8x10 pinhole contacts work better for me than smaller contacts or enlargements. If you want to use a longer lens a box 8x10 pinhole gets big. Better to use various pinholes on a bellows camera if you plan to carry it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tree001.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post

I ask because I am thinking of going larger than 8x10 and a pinhole set up would be a less expensive intro to ULF. Posted a similar thread the ULF Forum but got no response.
    I use it with my 7x17 camera!
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/