Thread: Stop bath with TF-5 fixer

Stop bath with TF-5 fixer

I've just finished building a new darkroom and am about to begin printing my large backlog of negatives.
    When I last was printing, two years ago, I was using TF-5 fixer with a plain water stop bath, and had good results on the fiber-base papers I prefer.
    I wonder if there's a better way- is there a stop bath compatible with TF-5? I'd rather not use the old standby acetic acid, and I'd like to preserve the fixer, as well as have development stop quickly.

Re: Stop bath with TF-5 fixer

I’ve not used TF-5, but for years I used citric acid stop for prints, about 1 tablespoon per liter of water. No smell or fumes like acetic acid.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Drew Wiley

Just call Formulary for advice. I happen to use TF4 in combination with weak acetic acid stop bath. No problem. There's enough alkaline reserve to handle a bit of acid carryover. But it's mixed per session, and never re-used another day, if prints are involved, or used one-shot for a set quantity of tray negatives.

Drew Wiley

Cold mounting is now routine for color prints on smooth substrates like aluminum. As I already noted on an ancient post somewhere back on this thread, I did used to make custom laminates of aluminum and 2-ply museum board, for sake of ordinary drymounting having a more classic look.

I move the print through two baths of water for the stop.. If you have the space, it's a pretty quick way to get the developer off.

I test the fixer with a scrap of film once in a while to make sure it's still doing it's job.

Mark, yes you can use a regular acid stop with TF-5. It is buffered for that. Rowland Mowrey (aka Photo Engineer on APUG), who worked on the formula, stated this. Even TF-4, which is alkaline, works fine with an acid stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I've just finished building a new darkroom and am about to begin printing my large backlog of negatives.
    When I last was printing, two years ago, I was using TF-5 fixer with a plain water stop bath, and had good results on the fiber-base papers I prefer.
    I wonder if there's a better way- is there a stop bath compatible with TF-5? I'd rather not use the old standby acetic acid, and I'd like to preserve the fixer, as well as have development stop quickly.

You could always use two stop baths...the first being a more diluted acetic-based solution, followed by plain water prior to fixing. Sprint stop bath is buffered so you might go this route...

I dealt with this issue back when I started using PMK pyro, and eventually Pyrocat, for negative processing...starting first with a single, much diluted acetic based...later adding a second, plain water bath. Later replaced the first bath with the (buffered) Sprint formula...diluted 1/24 (vs recommended 1/9) - and then (as now) going to just plain water, but in three baths...prior to fix (I use TF-4). Took me awhile to trust plain water I guess! Works for me with negatives...but would take a bit of space assuming you're doing larger than 8x10 prints.

Then again...you are not trying to protect negative stain, just the fix - so you might do well to try going to the Sprint formula and dilute this to 1/24 or thereabouts, either by itself or followed by a single water bath if you have the space for this.

Thanks everyone! Some good advice here.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Mark, yes you can use a regular acid stop with TF-5. It is buffered for that. Rowland Mowrey (aka Photo Engineer on APUG), who worked on the formula, stated this. Even TF-4, which is alkaline, works fine with an acid stop.
    This is the definitive answer. I remember reading Ron Mowrey's (the developer of the formula) posts on this subject as well. He always used an acetic-acid stop bath when he processed. There should be no issues with TF-5 and any normal-strength acid stop.

Doremus