Thread: Fomabrom Variant 111

Fomabrom Variant 111

Hello
    I have been using Fomabrom Variant 111 (fibrebased) for some time. Great results and I am happy with it. Dektol (5:1) for five minutes at approx. 20°c, Citric Acid for stop and either Ilford Fix or Fomafix. I have just purchased a new batch of paper direct from Foma and my prints are dull and have lost some of the subtle highlights. I have not changed any work flow and curious if anyone can suggest where to look for my problem.

Thanks for any comments.

Peter

Re: Fomabrom Variant 111

I remember seeing some post somewhere out in cyberland that this paper had changed. Have you tried a Google search? Sorry, it was some time ago and cannot recall where I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I remember seeing some post somewhere out in cyberland that this paper had changed. Have you tried a Google search? Sorry, it was some time ago and cannot recall where I saw it.
    They had been trying some changes with the supercoating from what I recall.

I think the OP should check to be sure that he's not been sent one of the fixed grade Fomabrom papers by accident. Or 112 Matte finish. And the dilution of Dektol is very weak indeed - which might have worked with previous batches of Fomabrom, but a change in the supercoat may mean it cannot achieve what more conventional mixes (1+2) would get.

Thanks for the comments. I will try a stronger Dektol mix, but on close inspection and compared with previous prints it sure looks like a different finish on the print. Different reflective level which is visually uniform.

Cheers
    Peter

This paper comes in either glossy or matt finish.

https://www.foma.cz/en/catalogue-fom...iii-detail-468

I'm guessing you got a box of the matt finish paper this time. Check the box for the surface finish type.

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    This paper comes in either glossy or matt finish.

https://www.foma.cz/en/catalogue-fom...iii-detail-468

I'm guessing you got a box of the matt finish paper this time. Check the box for the surface finish type.
    Hello All - to revert on my original post.

Firstly I followed the suggestion to develop the paper in a 2:1 dilution, same result. I checked the Box title and the delivery note - all correct. I wrote to Foma. Pleased to say they have been very helpful, below is an extract from their reply.

We can say, that this emulsion number does have a deviation from blackening, which can be considered as a deviation in gloss. We are sorry for it, the other emulsion numbers are sensitometrically OK. We can recommend you to eliminate this discrepancy with Kodak selenium toner or Ilford selenium toner in a 1:19 dilution and a tinting time of 2 to 3 minutes. In case it is not acceptable or suitable solution for you, we are ready to provide you with a replacement or exchange for another emulsion number.

Thank you everyone who provided input into my problem.

Regards
    Peter

Can you please state the batch number, just in case? Happy user of Fomabrom Variant 111 here.

Bernard - the batch number is 0232. FYI - The selenium toning made a noticeable difference to bring back the apparent gloss.