Thread: Need Help With Sistan (AdoStab II)

Need Help With Sistan (AdoStab II)

Hi, I recently purchased the updated version of AdoStab II (Sistan) to treat my RC silver gelatin prints and I am puzzled there are no actual instructions for use on the bottle other than suggested dilution and absolutely nothing helpful on the Adox website.

I have been searching around the forums on Sistan and there is a wide variety of opinions about its use and usefulness.

I am trying to make sure I absolutely follow the manufacturer recommendation on use, but I must be not looking in the right place or missing something?

In particular, I am trying to confirm exactly how to use/apply within the printing workflow.

From what I can gather, it appears that one should place the print in a tray of the Adostab II solution as the very last step in the process, but there doesn't appear to be any definitive instructions on the specifics. Furthermore, I selenium tone my RC prints for aesthetic reasons, as well as a hopeful boost in archival properties, but here again, it is unclear if you can use Sistan (AdoStab II) with selenium or not.

Anyone here able to help?

Thank you,

Larry

Re: Need Help With Sistan (AdoStab II)

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    From what I can gather, it appears that one should place the print in a tray of the Adostab II solution as the very last step in the process...
    This is correct. If you selenium tone, use the Adostab as the final bath after that, the last step before you hang up the prints to dry.

EDIT: Sorry, realized that the above is incomplete and could be misleading. To be clear, the right sequence is to selenium tone, *then wash*, and then use Sistan or Adostab as the final step.

Thanks Oren, have you used Adostab II?

I normally squeegee my prints as the very last thing before placing on drying screen and wanted to confirm this would not interfere with Adostab II (Sistan)?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    This is correct. If you selenium tone, use the Adostab as the final bath after that, the last step before you hang up the prints to dry.

I've used Sistan, no longer do because I worry about the risk of problems that can become apparent only much later, when it's too late to do anything about it. In part that's because I don't like to squeegee my RC prints - I just hang them up directly from the wash.

Here are the instructions from the last version of the Agfa Sistan documentation. Of course for the Adostab you should use whatever dilution ratio is specified on the bottle:

Mixing instructions

For use 50 ml Sistan New is diluted with 950 ml water. The correctly processed and washed prints are agitated for one minute in Sistan New solution after the final wash. NB! Too high a Sistan New concentration can lead to stains which take some time to appear - particularly if prints are in close contact (stored stacked). Care should then be taken that the fronts and backs of prints are wiped before drying to avoid partial over-concentration caused by dried drops of Sistan New.

Pinch and transport rollers on mechanical processors and continuous dryers should be carefully wiped clean to stop the Sistan New solution crystallising on them.

Yield

Up to 2 m² black and white paper per litre ready solution (equivalent to approx. 45 sheets 17.8 × 24 cm). The solution can be used down to the last drop.

Storage life

The concentrate will keep virtually indefinitely in closed bottles. Ready solution should be kept in capped glass bottles, not left in open trays.

Thanks Oren, really helpful. I appreciate you taking time to help.

I sure hope that Adox provides some documentation in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I've used Sistan, no longer do because I worry about the risk of problems that can become apparent only much later, when it's too late to do anything about it. In part that's because I don't like to squeegee my RC prints - I just hang them up directly from the wash.

Here are the instructions from the last version of the Agfa Sistan documentation. Of course for the Adostab you should use whatever dilution ratio is specified on the bottle:

Mixing instructions

For use 50 ml Sistan New is diluted with 950 ml water. The correctly processed and washed prints are agitated for one minute in Sistan New solution after the final wash. NB! Too high a Sistan New concentration can lead to stains which take some time to appear - particularly if prints are in close contact (stored stacked). Care should then be taken that the fronts and backs of prints are wiped before drying to avoid partial over-concentration caused by dried drops of Sistan New.

Pinch and transport rollers on mechanical processors and continuous dryers should be carefully wiped clean to stop the Sistan New solution crystallising on them.

Yield

Up to 2 m² black and white paper per litre ready solution (equivalent to approx. 45 sheets 17.8 × 24 cm). The solution can be used down to the last drop.

Storage life

The concentrate will keep virtually indefinitely in closed bottles. Ready solution should be kept in capped glass bottles, not left in open trays.

I'm still using my very first bottle of Adostab (I). Either on the bottle or somewhere on the website it says to treat the print for 90s. I think they recommend to squeege the print to get rid of excess Adostab.

But I hang prints from a corner so that it can run off. It does contain a wetting agent to prevent drops forming. I do both RC and FB prints this way. FB prints go between blotting paper once the emulsion is dry. I haven't had any problems in the five years I do darkroom work. Though I don't have that much time for it.

Good info, thanks for sharing your first hand experience. Always the best!

Quote Originally Posted by lantau View Post
    I'm still using my very first bottle of Adostab (I). Either on the bottle or somewhere on the website it says to treat the print for 90s. I think they recommend to squeege the print to get rid of excess Adostab.

But I hang prints from a corner so that it can run off. It does contain a wetting agent to prevent drops forming. I do both RC and FB prints this way. FB prints go between blotting paper once the emulsion is dry. I haven't had any problems in the five years I do darkroom work. Though I don't have that much time for it.