Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Brexit trade (custom) treaty - and Global Shipping Program (for EU trades)

Re: Brexit trade (custom) treaty - and Global Shipping Program (for EU trades)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mac View Post

The Ebay Global Shipping charges certainly make me think carefully before buying.

I will take my chances with a Custom Bellows order very soon,..

I refuse to bid on high value items that are linked to Pitney Global Shipping as they give no option for refunds on collectors/antique items. They are OK with low value items when “fixed administration fees” by private importers are a large part of fees/VAT.

Sorry, but I have just pushed you further down the waiting list at Custombellows - unless it is a stock bellows!

Ebay Global Shipping is a problem, because they state that if taxes are actually less than the paid amount, they DO NOT refund.
    It is better to try to convince the seller to change the sale terms.
    Between EU and UK there should be a kind of "Import-Export Agreement" that was on before UK enterd EU, so, going back to that situation, there should be some "mild" taxes or no taxes at all.

I did try to convince US sellers to change their listing in the past. It is the buyer who has “hassle” with VAT due to incorrect application of rates and we can easily manage that locally.

I have sometimes sent sellers a screen shot of what non-US EBayers see on their listing when they use Pitney. They are surprised at the mark-up.

But no-one has ever changed their listing.

Quote Originally Posted by massimodec View Post
    Between EU and UK there should be a kind of "Import-Export Agreement" that was on before UK entered EU, so, going back to that situation, there should be some "mild" taxes or no taxes at all.
    Ummm. That was before either country was in the EU. Now the UK is outside and Ireland inside, so there is no going back to pre-EU membership terms, and this cannot happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    Ummm. That was before either country was in the EU. Now the UK is outside and Ireland inside, so there is no going back to pre-EU membership terms, and this cannot happen.
    AFAIK there was an agreement for "fair trade" between EU and UK... but those official agreements should be mostly for commercial trades: manufacturers-distribution and so on.
    For private commerce there will be VAT for import, calculated on price + shipping expenses.
    GSP is more costly than the real shipping, also because you pay at least TWO shippings: one from seller to Pitney distribution yard, and from Pitney to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I did try to convince US sellers to change their listing in the past. It is the buyer who has “hassle” with VAT due to incorrect application of rates and we can easily manage that locally.

I have sometimes sent sellers a screen shot of what non-US EBayers see on their listing when they use Pitney. They are surprised at the mark-up.

But no-one has ever changed their listing.
    It's unfortunate, but understandable, that some US sellers insist on using the global shipping program (in spite of the excessive markup). It significantly reduces risk to the seller from items being lost or delayed in shipment. Items can, of course, still be lost or delayed on their way to the eBay's "hub" in the US, but that risk is less. Especially right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    This is just one person's experience of how import Eu/UK and UK/EU has gone.
    Especialy as regards the 5% VAT rate for antiques/collectibles.

Case study 1. Export from Denmark to the Uk. Declaration filled out with true value (of course!). Text about "antique/collectible lens - eligible for reduced 5% import VAT" added to the print-out and repeated in larger text on the package.
    This arrived at the destination a few days later than usual - without any taxes or fees being leveled.

Possible reasons:
    - Just luck.
    - Breakdown in import processing:
    A. Not enough warehouse space
    B. Not enough staff
    C. Parcels that suggest major correspondence/Admin/precedence are ignored

I havn't seen any news commentary in the UK media, but perhaps there has been some?

Case study 2. Export of item from UK auction house to Denmark. The auction house do there own packing and have a agreement with TNT. The auction house were asked to add the " Antique...... 5% VAT" to the address label!

Tracking showed an abrupt halt in progression over a week ago with just "processing" as the key word" Can't say I am surprised. THe same things I mentioned in case study 1 will apply here - perhaps they just have bigger warehouses!
    I suspect a month long battle as there is a "private" company involved - the other example involved the old state authorised carrier organisation.
    I can describe what has happened with “case study 2”. The parcel was sent with absolutely no data as to contents and value (from a well know auction house!). I had even emailed that they should give details about being eligible for the EU 5% VAT on the package.
    The package had a 10 day round trip in Germany before appearing in Denmark on Monday. I had a request from the carrier here asking for value plus shipping costs. I answered with amount and documents showing the lens was made before 1862 because the George Knight & co ceased to exist after that date so was eligible for the reduced tax. Now the package has arrived with no payment due. I suppose they just gave up or decided the due amount wasn’t worth the admin work necessary or the computer system they have developed didn’t take into account the change made in 1995 for antiques!