Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit trade (custom) treaty - and Global Shipping Program (for EU trades)

Re: Brexit trade (custom) treaty - and Global Shipping Program (for EU trades)

Within the EU the business seller can charge vat to a private customer anywhere within the EU. They could also apply the VAT margin scheme which only charges (non-reclaimable) VAT on the profit made on secondhand goods.

All this has changed for anything imported into the UK from the EU or exported from the UK to the EU. VAT is fully chargeable on goods which attract it. Faced with the immensely increased paperwork I have given up importing the equipment that I used to bring into the UK from the EU (business). It is now an onerous system and until it is sorted out (its still a mess) I won't be doing any importing at all. As I live in Scotland there could be some interesting changes though ......
    Last edited by pgk; 15-Jan-2021 at 11:37.

In the 80's I sold many Made in England motorcycles to Brits shopping in USA

Reimport was duty free/tax free for Brits, they bought container loads

Same with Made in Japan motorcycles, at USA Swap meets, the cash only buyers paid with USD from briefcases with armed bodyguards

buying every condition of certain models at large Ohio swap
    Tin Can

I am a bit surprised at the confusion!

Everything imported into the EU above a nominal value incurs:

1. The national VAT tax ( for Denmark, this is 25% of the total value - including transport costs).

2. For private importers, a fixed admin charge per item to the government appointed agency ( about 20 usd).

3. For imports from the UK which originate elsewhere (for example, China) there will be extra customs tariffs. Not huge amounts but these differ for various categories.

So around 30% extra for anything I buy from the UK now!
    For me, this influences not only EBay UK, but also purchases from the many Photographica Auctions based in the UK.
    This is exactly the same situation as buying from the USA to the EU has always been.

There is an escape from this terrible VAT in some situations when the item is “a collectible” or “ an antique- 100 years old”. The EU has a rule that these items from outside the EU are only charged at 5% import VAT rate. This fact is not very well known - even amongst the authorities who administer the rules! It usually takes a few emails to get the 25% down to 5%!

Using the Pitney Bowes/Ebay GSP scheme cuts the buyer off from using loophole as getting a refund is impossible without taking them to court!

Here is the EU directive - read section 6.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres...ail/en/IP_95_1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 62E83043-C48F-4E3B-9268-065B35C5AB5B.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 15-Jan-2021 at 12:15.

Yes and Intrepid Camera Made in England has always removed VAT for USA buyers right on their website
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I am a bit surprised at the confusion!
    Why? The confusion arises from the change from a system that everyone was used to, to one which few seem to have expected. I was unaware of the 'collectible' or 'antique - 100 year old' rule which might well prove useful though (until Scotland rejoins the EU anyway). Thanks.

Last time I flew from LHR January 2000, I was the only fool disclosing my purchases at ORD customs

The rest with bags of goodies just passed it by

The next year from MXP same same

and i have never flown again, and will not.........now
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Ron, what difference would that make? Weren't the VAT taxes included when they were a member? Aren't the final prices now the same?
    Others have mostly answered this, but to clarify: Yes, previously a UK business charged VAT when I bought from them. Now they do not charge VAT and my local customs office collects it instead. So no big difference in price, only in administrative overhead. Like having to go to a customs office in some cases.

It is much different for used items, however. Domestically (ie. inside the EU), when buying used items from private sellers (by definition always used) these don't charge VAT. Because the first buyer of the item already paid.

Similar for used items sold by commercial sellers. They pay so called differential VAT. I don't know how it works exactly, but they may pay a small percentage on the 'value' they added by trading the item. But in practice from the buyers viewpoint there is not VAT on used items from a dealer, *IF* these items have been in circulation inside the EU when the dealer acquired them.

Any item that is imported into the EU will attract VAT. That means the used items which I could buy VAT free from a UK dealer or private person will be charged on import now. That is be practical difference.

In short for UK purchases by me: new items only change the point of VAT collection. Used items attract additional VAT.

Thanks all who responded to this thread - If I'm correct, from the above responses the new rules as from 1/1 2021 are as follows (re responses from Iantou and PGK):
    1. import VAT and custom handling fees are now charged even when I buy from a private UK-based seller (before 1/1 there was no charge at all - also not from the sellers side);
    2. importing goods from the EU into the UK apparently now also will attract a VAT charge whether bought from a private seller or business.

For me this is quite a dramatical change since I bought my vintage photographic equipment mostly from private UK-based sellers. Also the Pitney Bowes/Ebay GSP scheme (re response Steven) is quite irritating, since the seller as well as the buyer are confronted with extra costs and I've never found any positive effect from their 'service'; instead you get lots of spam with their wrong expectations about when the goods are to be delivered.
    Last edited by Ron (Netherlands); 15-Jan-2021 at 16:11.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Thanks all who responded to this thread - If I'm correct, from the above responses the new rules as from 1/1 2001 are as follows (re responses from Iantou and PGK):
    1. import VAT and custom handling fees are now charged even when I buy from a private UK-based seller (before 1/1 there was no charge at all - also not from the sellers side);
    2. importing goods from the EU into the UK apparently now also will attract a VAT charge whether bought from a private seller or business.

For me this is quite a dramatical change since I bought my vintage photographic equipment mostly from private UK-based sellers. Also the Pitney Bowes/Ebay GSP scheme (re response Steven) is quite irritating, since the seller as well as the buyer are confronted with extra costs and I've never found any positive effect from their 'service'; instead you get lots of spam with their wrong expectations about when the goods are to be delivered.

Isn't that the same as if you bought a used camera privately from me in the US? After all, the UK is like the US or any other non-European country now. They're not in the EU.

Curious. Why is there a VAT add on with a private item when importing into the EU now when there wasn't for private items before. Doesn't VAT have to do with original sales and manufacturing?