Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brexit trade (custom) treaty - and Global Shipping Program (for EU trades)

Re: Brexit trade (custom) treaty - and Global Shipping Program (for EU trades)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Isn't that the same as if you bought a used camera privately from me in the US? After all, the UK is like the US or any other non-European country now. They're not in the EU.
    Yes Alan it is, acquiring goods from Britain (from a private seller) has now the same VAT-implications as it already had when acquiring goods from a private seller in the US - this was only (for some time) escaped by the 'as a gift' rule. Since that rule is banned, there are - I guess - less sales from the US to European private customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Curious. Why is there a VAT add on with a private item when importing into the EU now when there wasn't for private items before. Doesn't VAT have to do with original sales and manufacturing?
    ...since Brexit has come into force as of 1/1 2021...

Further all goods imported into the EU are treated the same if there is no trade convention with the other (third) state to overcome these duties...

Guess there is not made a distinction between origine of sales, since in most cases that wouldn't be practical and could lead to tax evasion. Further there is protection of the common market as one of the main EU principles.

How is this in the US > some states levy sales tax on imports isn't it

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    How is this in the US > some states levy sales tax on imports isn't it
    Not only on imports. On everything taxable (what's taxable is state specific) purchased by residents.

I believe that countries in the EU treat all purchases -- from inside and outside the EU -- equally too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Not only on imports. On everything taxable (what's taxable is state specific) purchased by residents.

I believe that countries in the EU treat all purchases -- from inside and outside the EU -- equally too.
    That's true. If a state has a sales tax on a particular good, they must charge that whether the goods are manufactured within that state or imported from another state or foreign country. That's to prevent unfair competition between states on the same product.

However, each state can have sales taxes or not at whatever rates they choose on whatever products selected. It just had to be applied equally regardless whether they came from within or without the state.

It is all very depressing!

In the “Good Old Days” a lot of items I bought from North America passed through the Danish Post Office with no demand for the Import VAT. Then the idea of an administration fee was introduced and suddenly an army of petty controllers were installed and everything was checked. Two weeks were allowed for them to process items and claim taxes. If you failed to respond within these two weeks, the item was sent return. This happened to me a few times. So I began to pay any disputed level of VAT, to ensure it stayed in Denmark - and hope for a refund at some stage.
    This always happened and I became on first name terms with the senior supervisor who, unlike others, knew the EU regulation. Onus of proof of age or collectibility was on me, of course - but fortunately there is plenty of documentation around for our hobby.

Yes, there is no logic that sale of a used item requires further VAT payment when a national/state border is crossed - other than being a source of state revenue and employment. Similarly, one can argue that there is no logic in payment of a fee - does one pay a fee for income tax to be processed by the state?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Yes, there is no logic that sale of a used item requires further VAT payment when a national/state border is crossed - other than being a source of state revenue and employment. Similarly, one can argue that there is no logic in payment of a fee - does one pay a fee for income tax to be processed by the state?
    The 'fee' has been a bone of contention in the UK some time (for non-EU purchases before this year). It is collected by not-state organisations (courier businesses) and they are allowed to charge a 'reasonable' fee (about £12 when I last bought something). But this fee applies to any value it appears so can be prohibitive on small items - which is probably where this daft idea of getting UK VAT collected by EU businesses selling stuff below £135 came from. 4 years of negotiation and we have a treaty which was poorly put together - extraordinary. Anyway, thanks Steven for the collectable/antique information - I will ensure that I mark any such items that I sell with this noted if relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    The 'fee' has been a bone of contention in the UK some time (for non-EU purchases before this year). It is collected by not-state organisations (courier businesses) and they are allowed to charge a 'reasonable' fee (about £12 when I last bought something). But this fee applies to any value it appears so can be prohibitive on small items - which is probably where this daft idea of getting UK VAT collected by EU businesses selling stuff below £135 came from. 4 years of negotiation and we have a treaty which was poorly put together - extraordinary. Anyway, thanks Steven for the collectable/antique information - I will ensure that I mark any such items that I sell with this noted if relevant.
    Another reason to use the post instead of courier services. At least in the US. There's no fee for customs clearance of incoming parcels here.

The UK post does charge for customs cleanse - not sure its on every parcel though. A postman once told me that they selected parcels for checking on a fairly random basis and that probably 10% got charged, but that was a few years ago and our postal service is now privatised and is probably looking to see where money may be made.

I always ship USPS internally and Internationally

I just bought a new cheap postal scale

I also tip my maleman once a year

sp intended

around here it's a great job

and I was a teenage USPS PT worker long ago

i have crazy stories too

not for this crowd
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Another reason to use the post instead of courier services. At least in the US. There's no fee for customs clearance of incoming parcels here.
    My wife I vacationed in the Caribbean Islands. We had the store where we bought something ship it back to our home in NYC because it was too large to carry with us on the plane. I thought nothing of import duties which would not have been paid had we carried it as it was under the allowance amount. After two weeks after we got home, we got a message from the USPS to pick it up. So to get it, we had to go to JFK Kennedy Intl airport, find the hanger building where the US Post Office was located and pay the duties. What a pain in the neck that was just to drive there and find the hanger.

Here in the Netherlands parcels are scrutinised by Post NL (post service) when it is imported from outside the common market and its value is above a certain (quite low) threshold - think it is about 15 or 20 Eur. In that case you have to pay a handling fee - even if you later got an exemption from import VAT on your objection because for instance you could prove it was a gift (nowadays the gift route is not accepted anymore). The Post service levies the VAT and excise duties for the tax authorities.

My Flickr