Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit trade (custom) treaty - and Global Shipping Program (for EU trades)

Brexit trade (custom) treaty - and Global Shipping Program (for EU trades)

Dear fellow members, please be aware that when you buy something in Britain via *bay and the seller wants you to use the Global shipping program, that program does not comply with the Brexit free trade treaty that Britain concluded with the EU and therefore will charge out 20% custom duty upon your price.

cheers
    Ron

My Flickr

Re: Brexit trade (custom) treaty - and Global Shipping Program (for EU trades)

Thanks Ron

I will reconsider Britain as source of LF

Shipping Internationally has also degraded on all continents
    Tin Can

I just had ordered a nice camera - but the custom duties was 1/3 of the price (about GBP 100)....too bad, luckily the seller agreed to cancel the transactions.

And for long I don't buy expensive equipment from the US - too high duties - and the Global Shipping Program takes its toll - so now I must reject Britain also - to bad since they had these fine handcrafted mahogany equipment -
    wanted to do a transaction with CustomBellows, but have to reconsider that also.
    Last edited by Ron (Netherlands); 14-Jan-2021 at 12:13.

My Flickr

Ron, I have had the opposite problem as I am selling an item and was queried by an EU buyer as to the significantly increased charges via the GSP. I contacted eBay and was assured that this is now correct. it appears that vat is not a tariff and is therefore chargeable, and that the GSP complies with this. I would very much like to be told that I am wrong though.

Hi Paul, well the Custom charges are mainly VAT-related. My understanding was (but could be misunderstood) that for the next 4 or 5 years there wouldn't be a change, so Britain would still be part of the common market (free movement of capital and goods) apart from the free movement of persons.

Here we can find more info on custom (excise) duties and VAT: https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/uk_withdrawal_en
    we need to study this more in detail....

My Flickr

Ron, the UK is not in the common market anymore. The transition is over. There are no duties in theory, but that applies to british made goods only. A japanese lens from the UK will not be at zero tariff.

VAT is not a tariff, it is a local tax. It is the customs office which will charge import-VAT on incoming parcels because the seller didn't.

A seller with a large EU customer base can set up everything to handle these charges on their end. It takes some doing but can be done. Then its as easy for you as a domestic buy. Mouser Electronics in Texas is a great example. But they are huge and get better international FedEx rates than you'll get on domestic parcels. Any of my orders with them was here within 48h, no customs/VAT handling on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by lantau View Post
    Ron, the UK is not in the common market anymore. The transition is over. There are no duties in theory, but that applies to british made goods only. A japanese lens from the UK will not be at zero tariff.

VAT is not a tariff, it is a local tax. It is the customs office which will charge import-VAT on incoming parcels because the seller didn't.

A seller with a large EU customer base can set up everything to handle these charges on their end. It takes some doing but can be done. Then its as easy for you as a domestic buy. Mouser Electronics in Texas is a great example. But they are huge and get better international FedEx rates than you'll get on domestic parcels. Any of my orders with them was here within 48h, no customs/VAT handling on my side.
    Thanks Iantau for clarifying this. Indeed from the documents under the above link I get the impression there is now no tax free entrance anymore for British goods to the EU-common market (so not only for transit I guess). For us in the EU-memberstates, buying goods from Britain is now comparable to buying goods from the US, indeed with a VAT import charge and - sometimes - excise duties - and handling fees. .....these 3 levies were not charged when Britain was part of the EU-common market.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Thanks Iantau for clarifying this. Indeed from the documents under the above link I get the impression there is now no tax free entrance anymore for British goods to the EU-common market (so not only for transit I guess). For us in the EU-memberstates, buying goods from Britain is now comparable to buying goods from the US, indeed with a VAT import charge and - sometimes - excise duties - and handling fees. .....these 3 levies were not charged when Britain was part of the EU-common market.
    Ron, what difference would that make? Weren't the VAT taxes included when they were a member? Aren't the final prices now the same?

Not the same (I guess), when you buy from outside of the EU-common market it does not matter wether you buy from a person or from a company/enterprise, for both the import duties are charged, whereas if I buy from a person (not a company/enterprise) within the common market, no levy has to be charged, not by the seller, and no import duties for the buyer. That makes a huge difference for us (not being a company/enterprise) who can not offset the VAT (excise duties can never be offset, only as costs, but not as a tax credit).

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Thanks Ron

I will reconsider Britain as source of LF

Shipping Internationally has also degraded on all continents

Since the US was never part of the EU, should not impact you at all (unless you moved). Of course the issues with shipping (both international and domestic) affect everyone.