Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you see and appreciate a large format Portrait?

Re: How do you see and appreciate a large format Portrait?

Thanks guys, the SF image was conceived as homage of Josephine Baker

She often wore real pearls, I bought fakes just for this shoot

Too bad she had to go to Paris...

The sitter is an American hero
    Tin Can

Re: How do you see and appreciate a large format Portrait?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    In 1959 Karsh published Portraits of Greatness, a giant step forward in reproduction of fine photographs. Karsh closely monitored the publication to ensure the best possible quality. The printing was done in the Netherlands and is far better than any other book of that time that I've seen. The pages measure about 9.4x12 inches, and can easily be removed for framing. They are sheet fed gravure with a delicate matte finish. The first edition is still occasionally available online for a wide range of prices. I don't know if subsequent reprints have retained such quality.
    I picked up a signed copy of, Portraits of Greatness, about two years ago at an estate sale that is a Third printing edition. Not having seen a first printing edition, the quality of the third printing is first rate and the tonal ranges are incredible.

I usually see portraits in museums and galleries. About 8 or 10 years ago, A Gallery for Fine Photography, in New Orleans had terrific show of very large prints by Karsh. Seeing Karsh original prints is a treasure to behold. When ever my wife and I drive over to New Orleans the first place we visit is, A Gallery. We are both drawn to the Edward S. Curtis' images from, The North American Indian, and Joshua has a number of Curtis' Portfolio Gravure's images. If you ever find yourself in New Orleans, A Gallery is a must see.