Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switch from Epson to Canon printer?

Re: Switch from Epson to Canon printer?

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    But always scan my B&W as RGB then dump the color in PS by simply going image/mode/grayscale and then changing it right back to rgb which I'm sure many would consider a misdemeanor if not a felony.
    Not at all - though I tend to split the channels (if I scanned BW in RGB - usually only for staining developer negs) & pick the cleanest. With normal developers it's usually the green channel - which is usually what most scanners default to for greyscale scans in the first place...

Other thing about the Canon is that I have much easier access to engineers here than with Epson - but bear in mind that moving the Canon may be a much bigger undertaking once it's set up, involving one degree or another of ink drainage.

Are there still people claiming that the Epson ultrachrome inks might be more (cough) archival?
    The newest Epson inks are supposed to be better - but all inkjet inks are going to change with time, no matter what their partisans wish. The supposed testing is questionable to say the least - and we don't know enough about paper behaviour either. On the other hand, they all seem to outperform Crystal Archive & the other chromogenic papers for display life. When somebody's work is sold predicated purely on some strange notion of 'archival' you just know it's got no other redeeming features.

Are there still people claiming that the Epson ultrachrome inks might be more (cough) archival?
    Can't generalize about the brands. Both are pretty decent already, and every generation of their respective inksets makes incremental progress in this respect. Also, longevity is a function of ink/paper combinations, not of the inks alone.

Study the test results at Aardenburg Imaging, read about and understand their methodology, and draw your own conclusions.

https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/

I have both - Epson 7800 and Canon IPF 9400 and I love both units. When I want archival I go to pt pd and gum.