Thread: Hello from Heidelberg

Hello from Heidelberg

Hi,

new guy from germany here.

Long story short - Started out with mom’s old 35mm Agfa, fell in love with a two eyed Rolleiflex and consequently built a little darkroom around a Durst Laborator 138. Then I got my first Linhof Color 4x5 and then a 13x18 Kardan that I both restored and sold off to fund a technika V. I disassembled it completely, gave it new bellows, cleaned and re-leathered it and shoot it quite frequently and mainly with a 6x12 horseman back.
    Since I do have that humongous enlarger I started collecting the parts to build a Technika III 5x7 rig and had them on a shelf for a couple of years...
    Lately I had contemplated on selling the whole conglomerate but upon revisiting what I had hoarded, I got bitten by the bug again and started the restauration that brought me here.

Aside from tinkering around cameras and photography I generally enjoy restoring old things like lamps, furniture, italian espresso machines, watches, making knives and so.

Now thank you for letting me join this community!

Bests,

Christoph.

Re: Hello from Heidelberg

Welcome, Phaedros! That's quite a résumé already! Let me know if you ever decide to put your hand to making an inexpensive and simple LED light source. There is a fair amount of discussion about that periodically here. Some are highly skilled electronics and tool-shop wizards and can make such things themselves. Some of those of us without are looking forward to finding an affordable pathway to a 4x5 or large design that can adapt to our current Omega D2 (hint) or other enlargers. An English firm makes a very fancy, variable contrast model, but the price, not even including shipping to the U.S., is high.

Meanwhile, you'll find lots here to enjoy, and we look forward to seeing your work.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Hi Philip,

thank you for the welcome!

I indeed had the idea once to change the lightsource of the Durst to LED but then got a hold of a whole pack of replacement bulbs and kinda ditched the effort. I‘ll hit the search for the threads you mentioned - I‘m still interested.

Covid currently gives me more time than I ever had, so I‘m in the process of straightening out my workshop and utensils... I might as well take some pictures on the way. I must still have some shots of the 4x5 as well - lets see if I can find them on my phone anywhere.

Bests,

Christoph.

Edit: found some pics of the 4x5 teardown

And the large Kardan I sold

Last edited by Phaedros; 12-Jan-2021 at 17:44.

Welcome. After a Kodak instamatic 126 I started learning exposure excetera on an Agfa 35. Good start.

Welcome!

I see your former 5X7 Linhof!

I have the same kit, NOS bought a few years ago for 25% of initial eBay offering

I also have most accessories

Linhof Kardon 5X7 with Linhof tipod and dolly by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Mr Linhof Mirror Mirror 2 years ago by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Linhof 8X10 Kodak 405mm f4.5 Portrait lens by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

@Ironage - for me this was the best way to start off on the analog journey... to be honest I don’t think there were digital cameras available when I started out 😅

@Tin Can - what a beautiful set! Perfect for studio work. The dolly is a rare find these days. I exclusively shoot outdoors, hence my decision for the technika...

I just had a little spring clean today and decided to check on my 4x5, test the shutters and blow the dust off the whole set

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi Christoph, I visited Heidelberg in 2001 at the tail end of a business trip-- it was August, so there were not a lot of people in town. Very charming and walk-able city.

We didn't visit every beer place in Heidelberg that day, but we really tried.

Welcome to the Forum, and looking forward to seeing some of your work!
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Welcome!

Oh, the city in which printing machines are made