Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinhole Technique and ULF

Pinhole Technique and ULF

Anyone out thre doing pinhole photography with ULF format materials?

What is your experience?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Pinhole Technique and ULF

I've done pinhole on 14"x17" and 20"x24", both years ago. Worked fine. My goal was never "optimal pinhole size" sharpness, rather, a balance between the infinite depth of field, some weird, short camera geometry imagery, and exposure times somewhere below the punishment threshold.
    That said, I did a series of 20"x24" color Polaroids with an artist friend in the 1990's, and the exposures with 1000W hotlights were in the 45-70 minute range (they were still lives). The studio was on the sixth floor of a concrete building, and we worried about vibrations from the streetcar line right outside (Happily, it was never a problem).
    I no longer remember the effective f# used.
    Last edited by Tracy Storer; 21-Jan-2021 at 15:45.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

A friend was working with his 8x10 upstairs in an old wooden building slated to be torn down. Right next to the highway as it passes thru downtown, he noticed the building swayed when trucks passed down below. However his images were sharp as the camera swayed with the building.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I guess not ULF - several years ago my submission for World Wide Pinhole Day was shot with my 8X10 camera and a homemade pinhole in a lens-board.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Like!
    Tin Can

Looks good Randy! What was the pinhole size?

I've been wanting to try pinhole for extreme wide-angle on ULF. My one try resulted in underexposure because I calculated something wrong. I would want something like 150-200mm on 8 or 12x20. 150mm f/250 would be a 0.6mm hole. I would love to buy a range of pinholes that could be easily installed on a Copal 0 lens board, perhaps in 0.2mm increments (0.4, 0.6, 0.8?). Would love to know if others are doing something like this on ULF.

I have some issues with bellows interference on my 12x20 with ultra short lenses, so I'm in the process of making a solution to that, then I might try with the ~0.5mm Travelwide pinhole I have here.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

In pinhole photography, the choice of pinhole diameter can be surprisingly critical. At best, a pinhole can separate line pairs of the Air Force resolution chart with a spacing of less than the pinhole diameter. This defies logic, but has been verified by tests. For optimum sharpness, I prefer a user constant of about 1.5 in Pinhole Designer. In wide angle pinhole photography, corner sharpness and illumination drop off dramatically in the image corners. The corners also exhibit astigmatism. Increasing pinhole diameter improves the corners, but reduces center sharpness. These qualities can be used to advantage with some subjects.

My 11x14 Pinhole camera is an extra wide angle one. Distance from the pinhole to the film is 5 or 6 inches. Pinhole is 0.0180 inches in diameter and was drilled with a #77 drill giving me a f/335 aperture. Inside of the camera is totally black. Film back off a B&J 11x14 camera. GG replaced with a sheet of plexiglass enabling me to check that the pinhole is not partially or fully blocked before exposing the film. I first drilled pin holes in six different sheets of SS, brass, and sheets of metal from a soda can. Sand each side of the pinhole and re-prick the pinhole with a needle from both sides to remove any burrs. With a black Sharpie, blacken the back of the metal and the inside of the pinhole. Recheck the pinhole with a loupe. Then loaded 3 11x14 film holders with taped sheets of 4x5 (Ilford FP4+) film in the center of each holder. Holder sides are numbered 1 - 6, and the respective film in each punched with a hole punch with 1 - 6 holes. Shoot one sheet of 4x5 film for each of the pinholes. Process the film and contact print the 6 sheets of film. Then sit down and decide which pinhole I want to use in the camera. Most of the time the pinholes produce very similar images, but usually one pinhole just excels over the others, a very subjective choice. Then I make an exposure guide using a Kodak exposure table with respective shutter speeds for each of the lighting conditions pictured. Next time I will attach it to the camera. Last time I used the 11x14 pinhole camera, I placed it on the ground and it promptly blew away.

Initially thought that if I could replace the pinhole with a much larger pinhole, I'd be able to use the GG to compose the image. In practice didn't work, so now use a wire frame to compose the shot with. If it's windy, the camera acts like a sail. If direct sunlight is hitting the pinhole I will get multiple reflection flares on the film. Tried using a black card to shade the pinhole but both times the card was included in the image - I forgot just how extra wide angle the camera was in both cases. Previously I started to constructed a similar 16x20 inch pinhole camera, but it proved too bulky for my taste.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11x14Pinhole.jpg   exposure table.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Looks good Randy! What was the pinhole size?

I've been wanting to try pinhole for extreme wide-angle on ULF. My one try resulted in underexposure because I calculated something wrong. I would want something like 150-200mm on 8 or 12x20. 150mm f/250 would be a 0.6mm hole. I would love to buy a range of pinholes that could be easily installed on a Copal 0 lens board, perhaps in 0.2mm increments (0.4, 0.6, 0.8?). Would love to know if others are doing something like this on ULF.

I have some issues with bellows interference on my 12x20 with ultra short lenses, so I'm in the process of making a solution to that, then I might try with the ~0.5mm Travelwide pinhole I have here.
    Bryan, for my 8X10 pinhole:
    F/L is set at 7" (180mm)
    Pinhole (in very thin copper sheeting) Diameter is right at about .5mm, which I calculated to be f/360, which is f2.8 + 14 stops.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Randy; 24-Jan-2021 at 09:32. Reason: measured incorrectly darn-it!
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Thanks! I didn't expect 1mm. I was wondering if that large of a pinhole was practical. I found a supplier on eBay and might order a few pinholes at 0.6 and 1mm and figure out a mounting system.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome