Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinhole Technique and ULF

Re: Pinhole Technique and ULF

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks! I didn't expect 1mm. I was wondering if that large of a pinhole was practical. I found a supplier on eBay and might order a few pinholes at 0.6 and 1mm and figure out a mounting system.
    From past experiences, beware of sellers of pinholes and pinhole cameras on eBay. I've purchased 4 pinhole cameras off eBay in the last few years, and 3 of them proved out to be junk after using them a few times. One of them simply had a pinhole that was simply way too large to produce a pinhole bokeh image with. The camera from a Polish seller was a work of fine engineering and construction. Don't remember the seller, but the camera was a 120 panoramic camera. As far as pinholes also beware. "Laser cut" is a loosely and overused term. Bought 2 of them from one seller and they were obviously made by poking a pin through the sheet metal. Bought some more from another seller and their sizes were nothing like described. Getting a set of micro drills from a hobby store for around $12.00 and you can easily make your own. Metal from the sides of soda cans is great for making pinholes in.

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    From past experiences, beware of sellers of pinholes and pinhole cameras on eBay. I've purchased 4 pinhole cameras off eBay in the last few years, and 3 of them proved out to be junk after using them a few times. One of them simply had a pinhole that was simply way too large to produce a pinhole bokeh image with. The camera from a Polish seller was a work of fine engineering and construction. Don't remember the seller, but the camera was a 120 panoramic camera. As far as pinholes also beware. "Laser cut" is a loosely and overused term. Bought 2 of them from one seller and they were obviously made by poking a pin through the sheet metal. Bought some more from another seller and their sizes were nothing like described. Getting a set of micro drills from a hobby store for around $12.00 and you can easily make your own. Metal from the sides of soda cans is great for making pinholes in.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks! I didn't expect 1mm. I was wondering if that large of a pinhole was practical. I found a supplier on eBay and might order a few pinholes at 0.6 and 1mm and figure out a mounting system.
    Bryan, decide what size holes you want and I'll make them for you out of my stock, of which I have more than I'll ever use. Probably take me 30 minutes to make good, smooth .6 and 1mm pinholes. You would just have to cut your mounting material (matte board?) for mounting it to your camera. I can post a picture of mine mounted on my camera, but it is all very simple. Let me know and I will work on them tomorrow when it's to cold and windy for me to get out and shoot . No charge, I'll just mail them with a stamp.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Interesting! I will PM you Randy!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I've bought a number of pinholes from fireseller66 on eBay, and the quality has been excellent. I'd recommend them to anybody.

For the pinhole cameras I built, I used pinholes purchased from here: https://www.2spi.com/category/grids-...ture/grids-cu/

I would mount one of these to a piece of pop can aluminum that was painted flat black. That was then mounted to the camera. These pinholes are used for microscopes, so are very well made.

There was a guy I knew on the old f295 pinhole site that bought a bottle (contains 100) of each usable size, and parted them out to other people.

I bought a few electron microscope apertures of various sizes from Earl Johnson on the old f/295 forum. Since that forum closed I've lost track of Earl. But as pinholes the EM apertures are superb, being laser drilled in very thin copper sheet. I've built three pinhole cameras using them, a 2x3, a 5x7 and a 5x12 with curved film plane. Each pinhole was $1 each posted. The only drawback with them is that they're only 3mm diameter which makes them very fiddly to mount, but not impossible. I believe James Guerin of Reality So Subtle sells these same pinholes mounted in larger discs. It's worth a look at his website: https://realitysosubtle.fr/

With my 8x10 ultra wide angle (3") I like to overexpose by 1-2 stops to help compensate for the corner light drop off. Something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    I bought a few electron microscope apertures of various sizes from Earl Johnson on the old f/295 forum. Since that forum closed I've lost track of Earl. But as pinholes the EM apertures are superb, being laser drilled in very thin copper sheet. I've built three pinhole cameras using them, a 2x3, a 5x7 and a 5x12 with curved film plane. Each pinhole was $1 each posted. The only drawback with them is that they're only 3mm diameter which makes them very fiddly to mount, but not impossible. I believe James Guerin of Reality So Subtle sells these same pinholes mounted in larger discs. It's worth a look at his website: https://realitysosubtle.fr/
    Yes, Earl is the guy I bought mine from.

To mount the pinhole to the pop can aluminum, I first drilled a small 1/8 inch hole into the metal, between two boards.
    I used 400 grit paper to sand both sides down flat, then painted both sides with flat black paint.
    I then drilled a < 1 mm small hole in the center of a 3/4 x 3/4 inch piece of black graphic arts tape.
    I put the pinhole on my light table and centered the hole in the tape over the hole in the pinhole.
    I applied pressure to the tape, taping the pinhole to it.
    Finally, I peeled it off the light table, put the pop can aluminum on, and taped the pinhole down.

The final step was to mount it in the camera. I've used the cameras for years without any problems.

Found this recent test of 14x17 pinhole on Photrio: https://www.photrio.com/forum/media/...le-test.64308/

Hope you can see it. Gives image and exposure information.