Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Backpacks for pano ULF

Re: Backpacks for pano ULF

Quote Originally Posted by bernardlanguillier View Post
    I have decided to buy from New Zealand an Aarn Natural Balance Pro with additional front balancing units.
    Excellent, I'll very much look forward to the review--those had caught my eye when I was doing a lot of backcountry flyfishing here in the Southern Appalachians, but I eventually decided that with Crotalus horridus being pretty thick on the ground, I'd better be able to see my feet.

Otherwise, I'm glad to hear the MR 80L packs seem to hold promise--20x24 might be pushing it, though! Most of the solutions I've turned over seem to hang up on having a circumferential compression strap having anchor points so much narrower than the loadout--definitely would like to hear what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Excellent, I'll very much look forward to the review--those had caught my eye when I was doing a lot of backcountry flyfishing here in the Southern Appalachians, but I eventually decided that with Crotalus horridus being pretty thick on the ground, I'd better be able to see my feet.

Otherwise, I'm glad to hear the MR 80L packs seem to hold promise--20x24 might be pushing it, though! Most of the solutions I've turned over seem to hang up on having a circumferential compression strap having anchor points so much narrower than the loadout--definitely would like to hear what you come up with.
    Indeed, I have the same concern about ground vision. I’ll see in what circumstances that works.

For now I have no intention to go larger than 8x10 so I’ll probably never know how large a camera the Beartooth 80L would be able to carry. Not sure if I’ll end up buying one. That will depend on the Aarn.
    Images available here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/

I was surprised at just how much weight that folks are putting in the two front "balance" pockets of the Aarn's--I could easily fit all of my Horseman 4x5 kit up front and not have to "ground" my pack (provided of course if I could keep my tripod accessible.) For 8x10 though, I suspect you might find the Beartooth easier to work out of--and perhaps nearly as comfortable if you're using trekking poles--though the Hida Mountains look as if they could sort your kit pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    I was surprised at just how much weight that folks are putting in the two front "balance" pockets of the Aarn's--I could easily fit all of my Horseman 4x5 kit up front and not have to "ground" my pack (provided of course if I could keep my tripod accessible.) For 8x10 though, I suspect you might find the Beartooth easier to work out of--and perhaps nearly as comfortable if you're using trekking poles--though the Hida Mountains look as if they could sort your kit pretty quickly.
    Yep, it’s always very steep around here and you often get 4000~5000 feet vertical a day…

I’ll probably visit MR again with my gear and check how well it fits as well as how i could customize it to add some separation in the main compartment.

Haven't read everything so this may be redundant:

There is a nice looking backpack harness designed to mount to a Pellican hard case. Padded back panel, padded shoulder straps and waist belt. That might work. Look on Amazon.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    There is a nice looking backpack harness designed to mount to a Pellican hard case. Padded back panel, padded shoulder straps and waist belt. That might work. Look on Amazon.
    Make sure you match the backpack harness to your Pelican hard case model. Had to return the one I bought because my Pelican 1600 hard case did not fit snugly on the harness.

Indeed, I have the same concern about ground vision. I’ll see in what circumstances that works.

For now I have no intention to go larger than 8x10 so I’ll probably never know how large a camera the Beartooth 80L would be able to carry. Not sure if I’ll end up buying one. That will depend on the Aarn.
    My Aarn Natural Balance Pro and front pack and front poaches has arrived. First test indicates that I can fit my Chamonix 8x10 Alpinist in its Dan Stone case and 5 film holders in their Dan Stone cases at the bottom of the main bag compartment, which is just about perfect. I'll need to finalize the configuration, but the initial tests are very promising.

Feet vision is in fact not a problem, it's easy to see between the front poaches.

The pack is very well designed. I would say the best designed pack I have ever seen and I have used packs from quite a few major brands. It's significantly lighter than my Osprey 65, has full waterproof lining, many many attachment points, a suspension system that seems very comfortable and is more adjustable that any other. It seems very stable in my initial tests, but only actual usage will confirm.

I'll be testing this in the field in a few weeks.

Cheers,
    Bernard

My Aarn Natural Balance Pro and front pack and front poaches has arrived. First test indicates that I can fit my Chamonix 8x10 Alpinist in its Dan Stone case and 5 film holders in their Dan Stone cases at the bottom of the main bag compartment,
    Excellent, but "pictures or it didn't happen" as they say on the Internet. Otherwise, I'll look forward to your trail reports, and especially how you're organizing your loadout--to pick up on an earlier comment, you might roll with a tripod head or some big plasmats in the front pockets. (BTW there's a great 8x10 photo from Nagano on a couple of LF Flickr groups this morning--I can see why you're getting "loaded for bear" as we say in the States.)