Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacks for pano ULF

Backpacks for pano ULF

Since I got my 5x12 I have been looking for ways to haul and hike with it. The camera will fit into most XL camera bags without the dividers but the film holders in their case are a bit too long or the depth too shallow. I would love another Atlas pack but the built in ICU is too shallow for this format.

I am looking at the Kelty 5500 but it is way to big. The Kelty redwing 50L seems to have about the right specs and can open flat rather than being 100% top loader, and I could use a small to medium ICU for lenses, meter, etc.
    Looking at other tactical and external frame packs but not finding what I want yet. Depth is a concern when camera and holders are in the pack, but once the camera is on tripod the pack needs to be able to collapse.
    Need at least 18hx10wx8.5depth (front to back) for the camera and holders + room for lenses/smalls. The camera and holders have protective wraps so not overly concerned with heavy padding. Waterproof and water resistant YKK zippers would be nice.
    And need a way to place the FLM tripod.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: Backpacks for pano ULF

For backpacking my 120 panoramic camera equipment (NOBLEX PRO 6/150UX, Motweiller P.90, Fuji GSW69111, and extras) I use a ThinkTank Airport Ultralight V2.5. Might be tight fit though because the height is around 16+ inches. Maybe another larger ThinkTank model? They conservatively list the inside dimensions of their backpacks, unlike some brands.

Photographer

Take your camera, holders, lenses and other gear to REI and try out the packs. Oh, wait, if you don’t have a pack, how will you take all that stuff to REI? Anyone? Anyone?
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Take your camera, holders, lenses and other gear to REI and try out the packs. Oh, wait, if you don’t have a pack, how will you take all that stuff to REI? Anyone? Anyone?
    I did that and all they had were top loaders like the osprey, or little packs. It fits nicely in a duffle bag but not the best hiking solution.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I have the slightly larger version (Trekker II) of this for 8x10:

https://meipacks.myshopify.com/products/trekker-i

Five to six film holders (8x10) fit in the detachable daypack and should fit the same number of 5x12 holders. One big compartment inside -- I have created two compartments and additional padding.

I have been using it for 25 years for 8x10, including air travel before 9/11. All straps, etc hid away...it is a travel pack meant to be carried as a backpack. Zippers and all have held up exceptionally well. Loaded up with about 45 pounds (occasionally more) with just about as much off-trail time as on.

The waist belt does loosen up a little over time, I am always tightening it up a little it seems. Could have replaced the buckle years ago if it was an issue to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PackInterior.jpg   PackExterior.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I keep trying to talk Bryan into a shiny new Mystery Ranch, but apparently the dude just keeps buying cameras instead... At any rate, MR packs feature a bomber suspension and usually have pack bags that are some variant of a panel loader. Here's a new model that caught my eye (note the first review is from an LF'er):
    https://www.mysteryranch.com/terraframe-3zip-50-pack
    This particular pack is marketed toward general backpackers, but MR also has dedicated hunting and tactical lines as well--the latter might be useful if you can leverage a molle field (though of course Berry compliant packs can get spendy.)

LOL

Well the 12x20 certainly causes a new problem in that regard! Current solution: carrying the camera and one film holder inserted into the back in one hand, tripod in the other, rather small backpack for lenses/accessories .

Eric - not sure this helps, but I discovered that bagged rice sold at Costco comes in these very high-quality woven bags that are tall but not terribly wide - might be a nice fit for your holders. I wouldn't want loose holders in any backpack. You can try the Mei pack I have if you want, but it's just a big open pack with nothing to separate areas, but perhaps some well-placed inserts would solve that. Looking forward to seeing your new camera.

PS: I was told Clyde Butcher strapped his ULF cameras to a bare backpacking frame and hiked with them that way. I assume the holders and/or other accessories were carried by another assistant!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    I keep trying to talk Bryan into a shiny new Mystery Ranch, but apparently the dude just keeps buying cameras instead... At any rate, MR packs feature a bomber suspension and usually have pack bags that are some variant of a panel loader. Here's a new model that caught my eye (note the first review is from an LF'er):
    This particular pack is marketed toward general backpackers, but MR also has dedicated hunting and tactical lines as well--the latter might be useful if you can leverage a molle field (though of course Berry compliant packs can get spendy.)
    This. I am using an original Dana Terraplane, for my 8x10, and Bomb packs for 4x5. I would love to get new Y zip models, but can't justify the expense because my 25+ year old packs are in perfect shape. You will not find better load bearing frames.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I did that and all they had were top loaders like the osprey, or little packs. It fits nicely in a duffle bag but not the best hiking solution.
    I use a REI Ruckpack 65L for my 8x10 and I think it would be good for you. It’s not a top loader so it’s very practical. You can carry a tripod on the side or the front (which centers the weight better). Very comfortable, good support, rugged. I fit everything in it, including 4 holders and 4 lenses.

I spent a lot of time at REI trying many brands and once you impose the constraint of “not a top loader” the options are greatly reduced.

Unfortunately this model seems it’s just been discontinued... bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Every time I look to Mystery Ranch, they and all retailers are out of stock. The same appears to be true for this model, as well. Please let me know if you know of a place where this model is in stock.