Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpacks for pano ULF

David Schaller

Re: Backpacks for pano ULF

I have the MR Sphinx 60 for backpacking. I've only done a couple night trips, but it's been great. It might be big enough for an 8x10, and it has the middle zipper. The tripod could strap to the bottom, or on one side. So bigger capacity and less expensive than Terraframe 50.

Currently leaning toward the Shimoda X50. It has about the correct interior dimensions without an ICU, 11.6W x 21.9H x 8.1D in. The Tripod can be mounted on side with hidden pocket or down the front using a split strap or even at an angle. My tripod is a tall and thick tripod so the split design is appealing (Maybe). Side compression would allow me to compress the bag while the camera is on the tripod and I am working several shots in an area and moving around since I do not want the holders flopping around inside. I like the rear opening feature. adjustable shoulder straps and waist belt seem well thought out and have good overall reviews from users.

Not sold on the roll top or the bags waterproof nature but a rain cover would alleviate some of those issues. I wish it had a top cover with pockets as that is where I would tend to store stuff I don't need often like gloves, tools, medKit, etc...
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Currently leaning toward the Shimoda X50. It has about the correct interior dimensions without an ICU, 11.6W x 21.9H x 8.1D in.
    Very much hope that works out for you--there are so many variables to sift through when it comes to load carriage that it's hard to know what will fit your needs until you take the plunge. After eyeing the Shimoda's suspension, though, I do hope you like the Chris Evans/Captain America "swole" look, because too many trail miles are going to leave your traps jacked.

Tried the Osprey Kamber 42Liter pack this weekend whose main feature is dual zippered rear backpanel access . It held the 5x12 and holders but not much else. Might be good for 4x5/5x7/4x10 gear. it had all the comfort associated with the Osprey packs. With an ICU would be a good 135 or 220 gear pack.

Kinda still leaning toward X50 but Tilopa has some features I like. The more I see users who actually use packs and not just video reviewers I can see the flaws in both.

Found something interesting. Mammut has two different backpacks with similar name.

Trion 50L [$125] is a light weight ski oriented rear opening pack that has no ICU . It comes in one size but is fairly comfortable and seems about the right size to carry my 5x12 setup. Not many external pockets and nothing internal for lashing or compression other than external side compression.

Trion Spine 50L [$325] has a much more advanced suspension system that allows separate movement of hips and shoulders. Spine 50 is front U zipper opening and gives ample access to interior, but I wonder about tripod mounting. Suspension height is adjustable. Neither appear to be water proof and Mammut does not offer a rain cover.

Both might be large enough for an 8x10 or possibly a 7x17 based on Chamonix models. Hood is large and removable. Gear loops on hip belt instead of pockets. Lacking in padding so would have to make sure camera and items are in protective wraps or cases.
    There are also 35L and 70L versions.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Trion Spine 50L [$325] has a much more advanced suspension system .
    That looks like an interesting option--for load control, the classic Dana "ArcFlex" suspensions made use of fiberglass wands on each side of an HDPE frame sheet that had a single aluminum stay, so this might be doing something similar. FWIW, I saw the 50L as being discounted at REI, but I'll continue to plump for the 70L should you ever consider a foray into my neck of the woods.

I ended up purchasing a Shimoda Explore 60 pack with no inserts. I got a fair deal right at $200. I was thinking the extra 10 liters would allow me to carry more stuff when needed. This model has been replaced by the Action X50 with some improvements so you might find it on sale very soon everywhere. I got mine off the auction site as an open box item.

Pros -
    the 5x12 camera and 3 holders Plus lens/accessory bag all fit in the main compartment.
    Large roomy top section still would allow carry of small items or things like gloves and jackets. It can be open or closed to the lower main compartment via a zipper
    roomy top outer pocket for small items
    Seems waterproof and the zippers certainly are.
    front shoulder strap pocket will hold my Iphone 7 but just barely - no whipping it out to get a quick snap if big foot crosses my path . Other pocket may
    be fine for a pair of glasses but probably would not use it for that.
    lots of useless attachment points that I will likely never use.
    straps on side do cinch the pack to about 1/2 its normal thickness.
    Belt and shoulder straos adjust with ease as do tensioners
    Front U shape pocket could hold water bladder system - but I don't have one.
    Comes with an accessory pocket for waterbottle or tripod holder but not really well thought out places to attach it.
    Not as comfortable as my atlas pack but carries the weight well enough.

Cons -
    I have to work to get the camera into the pack because of the rigid stays. It barely fits
    No real side pockets for water bottles except for the big accessory one that tucks away - but its weird.
    Not enough room to carry additional 4x5 kit if I wanted to unless I strap on accessory ICUs for things like film holders and lenses. I would carry less than normal anyway when carrying both cameras
    Front straps are not going to solidly hold the tripod - especially the big ole FLM I am using now.
    side zip pockets not going to hold much - maps maybe or note cards.
    buckles feel like they will be weak link of all the strapping connections.
    Even at XL height the should straps wrap around my upper back and shoulders - unlike most hiking bags where the straps attach to the pack at a higher point than your shoulders.
    Hip belt is not as rigid as I had hoped.

with a medium ICU this might be a fine bag for 4x5 or 5x7. Not sure you would get an 8x10 in it.

Excellent, I'll start looking for some 5x12 shots then. FWIW, if you're looking for a bladder system, the Source "low profile" three-liter might be a good fit...I can usually find a place for mine in most all the packs I own.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Excellent, I'll start looking for some 5x12 shots then. FWIW, if you're looking for a bladder system, the Source "low profile" three-liter might be a good fit...I can usually find a place for mine in most all the packs I own.
    I hate carrying water if I am walking a short distance. I keep some in the car usually. As for seeing shots... I may be able to go shoot soon but I am in middle of kitchen remodel and can not even get to my developing stuff due to all the stuff from the kitchen filling the garage. Hopefully by end of March.

Update: I took the pack and camera out for spin yesterday on a 1 mile round trip trail. I did a little bit of billy goatin' to get to the shoot point but the bag did not get in the way when ducking under a tree. The shoulder straps were cutting a bit at first but then I figured out how to loosen them. The hip belt does not fit my big belly nor take the weight the way my Atlas pack does so I may be looking for an alternative belt. Working out of the bag was not too difficult because I had my small accessories in small cases that came out as needed. Mounting the tripod on the front was ok with the accessory pouch attached and the feet sitting in it with two legs straddling the mid point of the upper strap. The 5x12 camera works just like my 4x5 Chamonix N2 so I had no issues there. I will have to get used to looking all the way across the glass to see the image.
    Last edited by esearing; 8-Mar-2021 at 08:47.

Hi guys,

Pretty new to the forum and new to 8x10 after doing a bit of 4x5 a long time ago. I have bought recently a Chamonix Alpinist convertible with 5 holders and 2 sets of lenses. The light one for outdoor use and the heavy duty for studio.

I just found this thread and it’s super useful, thank you!

My Osprey 65 was just too small (I should say too shallow) to carry the gear in the field with additional out door equipment. I have decided to buy from New Zealand an Aarn Natural Balance Pro with additional front balancing units.

I’ll report in the coming weeks about it’s usefulness. Users boast about it being one of the most comfortable packs on the market for ultra long treks with loads up to 50-60 pounds, which is more than I need.

Otherwise I visited the Mystery Ranch store in Tokyo yesterday and saw their hunting series packs, in particular the Metcalf 71L and Beartooth 80L. Those are heavy backs but the 80L may be just about perfect for ULF in the field.
    - the opening is very wide
    - it’s possible to carry very large pieces of equipment btw the back and suspension system with users reporting having carried loads in excess of 100 pound. It feels like it may be possible to carry a Chamonix 20x24 with a bit of thinkering. The store owner knew a few guys using it for 11x14 in Japan
    - there is a large separate compartment that seems usable to carry enough clothing for actual outdoor usage.
    Images available here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/