Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: getting glass CLEAN, how do you do it?

getting glass CLEAN, how do you do it?

Ok, so I now have a sample of gel to glue between 2 glass pieces. I have my canada balsam. So the next step is to get the glass CLEAN. And I mean clean...

I tried window cleaner and spectacles cleaner.. no good. Next I tried Isopropyl 99.9%, still streaks. Then aceton and not any better. Last I tried Metryl (tricloreethylene replacement) and it is better bus still not clean, still streaks.

Probably HF would do the trick but I'm not that idiotic. Only thing I still can try is ammonia with H2O2. Then I give up.

What is the best way to get glass clean at home? Household stuff, not boiling caustic solutions of worse hot HF. It is uncoated glass, not lens elements.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: getting glass CLEAN, how do you do it?

Alcohol or ammonia-based window cleaner, followed up with scrupulously clean microfiber cloth.

I had terrible problems getting the glass of a used negative carrier clean, until I tried dish soap.

I use the same procedures that astronomers use to clean their telescope mirrors. One can be found at
    https://www.galactic-hunter.com/post...cope-s-mirrors
    many other sites covering this topic out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    I had terrible problems getting the glass of a used negative carrier clean, until I tried dish soap.
    An expert technician showed me years ago how an Ivory Soap solution cleaned the stubborn film off lenses that "lens cleaner" solutions couldn't get off. I have found recently, trying it on my own eyeglasses first, that 3% H202, the hydrogen peroxide sold in drug stores does a great job. I apply with a Q-tip and then polish it off with a micro fiber cloth.

Drew Wiley

If you want to pay for it, Edmund Scientific can source you the same kinds of products lens manufacturers use. It's a paint-on peel-away product, obviously not for routine glass use, but for that get it right the first time result. Otherwise, use a white teflon scratch-free pad and some basic Ivory soap, plus running water. Rinse off all the soap well, then dip it in a tray of distilled water with a pinch of PhotoFlo. Then blow off all the water droplets with a micro-filtered air line set at around 30 PSI. Set on an angle in a very clean place until completely dry.

I tried with dish washer and that is so far the best. I'll try next time with H2O2 and ammonia. Then getting alle the dust off.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Drew Wiley

You need to get all the dust off in the same cleaning step. The harder you try afterwards, the more you'll just get back on. A few inevitable bits can be blown off; but basically, you don't want to touch the surface with anything again.

Having repaired lots of lenses with modern UV cure cement, I've settled on cheesecloth with Acetone on it, following by a swipe with a really high quality lens tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    If you want to pay for it, Edmund Scientific can source you the same kinds of products lens manufacturers use. It's a paint-on peel-away product, obviously not for routine glass use, but for that get it right the first time result. Otherwise, use a white teflon scratch-free pad and some basic Ivory soap, plus running water. Rinse off all the soap well, then dip it in a tray of distilled water with a pinch of PhotoFlo. Then blow off all the water droplets with a micro-filtered air line set at around 30 PSI. Set on an angle in a very clean place until completely dry.
    I don’t know any optical shops which use that. Too time-consuming for production to “touch” each lens. For large quantity optics, glass washing machines using distilled water and a purpose-made detergent like alcojet. During polishing it’s just water. Solvents are available, but not for production use
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com