Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gitzo 1570M repair

Re: Gitzo 1570M repair

Just disassembled and cleaned out almost no grease. Even with a "dry fit" the fitment was super super tight. I took some time gently with a red scotchbrite die grinder pad and smoothed out the male portion of each part. Some silicone based lubricant has this smooth as silk now. Thanks for the reference to the parts/assembly diagram, Interneg!

Did the same diy with my 1370-M. Got tighter-n-heck so I took it apart - turned out that the lube was dried and caked - so I cleaned it up with a solvent and re-lubed (very sparingly) with something....hmmm - I think either white lithium or moly, cannot remember which...but it works great now! Daniel...silicone based - sounds good!

Ha! So Oren...Gitzo sent those heads back to you as "unrepairable?" Sounds like the Leitz 35mm (8-element!) Summicron that Leica repair service returned to a customer years ago as "unrepairable." Focus was super-stiff. The customer gave me this lens for free...and I did a hail Mary by holding it over my hot wood stove for awhile - working the focus as I did this...after which it worked like a charm for years! Hmmm...do you have a wood stove?

That's great to hear, Daniel!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Daniel and John - that's great!

Can you tell how you got the side "caps" off without destroying them? Or otherwise how you got the things disassembled? I've poked at mine a bit with no luck and am wary of causing damage I can't fix, which is why I sent them off to CRIS in the first place. Could easily be that I'm missing something that should be obvious to anyone mechanically-inclined.

...ham-fisted-and-clumsy-thumbed-Oren

Oren I'd like to know this also...as indeed the cap which I'd "removed" for that repair is now held on with tape until I can figure a better way to affix it.

Thing is, there is yet another axis (vertical) on my 1370 which is now getting tight...and it won't be long before I need to take things apart again - and yes...it would be great if I could at least save that cap!

Interesting that those who bought Gitzo decades ago with "Lifetime Warranty" find the company now does not honor it.
    Meanwhile, Ries keeps on taking care of us.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Interesting that those who bought Gitzo decades ago with "Lifetime Warranty" find the company now does not honor it.
    Those of us who have been around for a long time will recall that it was "lifetime plus reincarnations".

Seriously, though, that warranty was offered by the then-distributor in the US, Karl Heitz, who is long gone, not by Gitzo. The current owner of Gitzo, Vitec Group, has no obligation from the old Heitz warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Those of us who have been around for a long time will recall that it was "lifetime plus reincarnations".

Seriously, though, that warranty was offered by the then-distributor in the US, Karl Heitz, who is long gone, not by Gitzo. The current owner of Gitzo, Vitec Group, has no obligation from the old Heitz warranty.
    Gitzo was bought by Manfrotto which hen was bought by Vitec. So that lifetime warranty by Heitz, in the USA only, is long, long, gone.

Actually, a year or two before Manfrotto bought Gitzo, we, HP Marketing, were negotiating to become the Gitzo USA distributor at Photokina. When we came out of our meeting we found Karl Heitz sitting outside the door to the meeting room. Embarrassing for all of us.

Similar thing happened at PMA one year when we were in discussions with Jobo!