Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gitzo 1570M repair

Gitzo 1570M repair

Hey all,

I purchased a used 1570M head this past year, knowing it had some “issues”.
    I’d like to either repair it myself, or send it out to get done by a Gitzo facility.
    The tilt functions both forward/back and side/side are somewhat “tight”. Not smooth at all, even when loosened all the way.

Any thoughts? If you have/had one of these heads, have any of you encountered this problem?

thx,
    Dan

Re: Gitzo 1570M repair

The grease used in them (at least mine) can get pretty solid/ sticky if left unused/ cold for a period of time. Usually exercising the tilts gets it to soften up & move smoothly again. If not, likely a strip, clean re-lubricate job.

I like mine tight, if you want smooth pan tilt get a movie camera head with a long handle

i also like the over 90 degree lateral tilting feature which I used this week

DIY CLA
    Tin Can

I have a pair of G1370M heads that have become so tight as to be almost unusable. Some months back I contacted CRIS, the authorized Gitzo service agent, and they said to send them for evaluation. I did, but they returned them as unrepairable, saying there were no more parts. Haven't yet taken the time to ask around and see which independent shops might be able to work on them and at what cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    unrepairable, saying there were no more parts.
    I have two Gitzo. tripods which I acquired in the late 1970s. Both served me well till a few years ago (both are no lightweights for sure). After 40+ years of use they were in need of repair. I contacted Gitzo and got the same reply of spare/repair parts not being available any more. Took one completely apart, cleaned all the parts, and put it back together and has served me well since. Also took the other one apart, but parts were too worn to salvage it. Mechanical things like tripods I have no problem with trying to fix... just takes a lot of patience and time. One of the reasons that I like Ries tripods, the company stands behind them. Also in searching for a tripod for my 11x14 years ago called Ries, over the phone!!!, and asked them for advice. Call took maybe 10-15 minutes (I had a lot of questions). Followed their advice and have been more than satisfied with their recommendations.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Not a Gitzo head, but I recently overhauled a Bogen/Manfrotto 3047 with similar symptoms. It was a 30 minute project and the head was good-as-new after a good cleaning, re-grease with damping grease, and adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I have a pair of G1370M heads that have become so tight as to be almost unusable. Some months back I contacted CRIS, the authorized Gitzo service agent, and they said to send them for evaluation. I did, but they returned them as unrepairable, saying there were no more parts. Haven't yet taken the time to ask around and see which independent shops might be able to work on them and at what cost.
    Here's the guts of the G1370M - and the 1570M - the Gitzospares site seems to be able to supply a lot of the parts you might need.

Very good data!

I like the Gitzo as it can mount two 3/8-16 screws easily to my QR
    Tin Can

Take apart. Clean. Lube. I've done that on my 1570M, and it's much smoother now. I used Super Lube. A few years ago, I gave Joe's Lubricants a try, as Right Right Stuff recommended it, but the Super Lube does a better job in my experience.
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 12-Jan-2021 at 12:09.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks guys. I’ll see about pulling it apart sometime in the coming week.