Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too good to be true?

Re: Too good to be true?

Hmm. Wish he lived somewhat close. With my little homebrew digital enlarger, some tweaking to his system, and a full-spectrum LED light I actually could build a complete digital enlarger system that rivals the DeVere 504DS. The interest in my little project didn't seem big enough to warrant serious investment so it's on the back-burner for now, but my results have been really good.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Hmm. Wish he lived somewhat close. With my little homebrew digital enlarger, some tweaking to his system, and a full-spectrum LED light I actually could build a complete digital enlarger system that rivals the DeVere 504DS. The interest in my little project didn't seem big enough to warrant serious investment so it's on the back-burner for now, but my results have been really good.
    I remember reading about your efforts with LED. This approach is interesting in that a cheap tablet could be used IF (big IF) it actually works. IMO, whatever market exists would primarily be in retrofitting common condenser enlargers such as the Beseler 23c and 45, Omega D2 and D5 (granted, my examples show a US bias but you get the idea). Effectively adding a color head to those enlargers.

Look into ELP

HMG, my design is using the original heads, so I can do color as well - at least in theory as I still haven't tested the actual workability of this. His solution is just an app for use on any device using the screen and backlight, and I can tell you my design will provide 50% higher resolution than the newest iPhone, as an example. The thing about this type of usage is that the only thing that matters is the resolution of the screen, and so therefore a tablet is no different than a phone if their resolution is the same - except a typical tablet will need the equivalent of a 5x7 or 8x10 enlarger (or camera) to make prints.

Another person did this with a tablet and did contact prints. This is another option, but IMO comes with other issues.

With the usage of some other tech, I am actually aware of a way to retrofit an even better digital enlarger than the DeVere product but the design, prototyping, and manufacture is firstly over my head and secondly not likely to have enough demand to warrant its development. It's a niche use-case.

Drew Wiley

Does it come with free Mickey Mouse ears?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Look into ELP
    There's no need for that. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I posted my progress in LFPF DIY, at that time, I would have to search for it also
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...arger-LED-head

It's early in my bookmarks, so it's easy for me to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    There's no need for that. IMO.
    Perhaps not, but it seems like it could be easier to implement well than tablets, phones or LEDs, and potentially pretty slick. Imagine a fully featured enlarger but with no junk above the negative stage.

It's just a light, you still need a negative or digital carrier system like I've designed. It doesn't display images.

Edit: I spent some time looking for spectrum information, and other data on ELPs but the long and short of it is they are being (or have been) abandoned for edge-lit LED technology. For use as an enlarger light-source, I'd want to see some specifics on the spectrum, know how long it took to go from unpowered to full brightness, and also look at their brightness compared to a typical enlarger lamp/head because apparently they are a real bear to "dim," unlike traditional bulbs or LED bulbs of the proper type. As long as these things are okay, I suppose one could consider them as an enlarger lightsource as long as it was bright enough for the intended use.

Thanks Sean

I lose bookmarks real and virtual

and then I forget

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mac View Post
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...arger-LED-head

It's early in my bookmarks, so it's easy for me to find.

The NOT SAD part is that entire DR and setup was tore down, some sold when I moved 4 years ago to a remote location
    Tin Can