Thread: Scouting locations close to home can be fun!

Scouting locations close to home can be fun!

Not knowing the exact location and a sketchy description, we took a hike in search of the Winchell Cove Cemetery somewhere on a point overlooking Winchell Cove Marina at Millerton Lake.
    This was our second attempt---on the first try Google Maps put us on the wrong road which took us close by a native Tribal cemetery which is definitely off limits. The Winchell Cove cemetery was the reinternment of the graves in cemetery at the old county seat of Millerton, which was covered by Millerton Lake when Friant Dam on the San Joaquin River was constructed between 1937 and 1942. Millerton was a pretty rough town with a Fort, riverboat terminus, mining, cattle ranches, lots of saloons and a courthouse. It was also the trailhead for the French Trail which served to supply the mines at Mammoth on the other side of the Sierra via mule train.
    In the 1980s an Eagle Scout project mapped out the graves and apparently restored the wrought iron gate which helps locating where the heck the cemetery is among the oaks and chaparral.
    I took my 35mm (it's a scouting adventure after all) but I'll definitely return with my LF being a steep, but not terrible long hike from where we parked.
    It was great to get out during the 'rona lockdown and we had the place all to ourselves.

It's fun to scout out locations.
    Is anyone else spending the 'rona doing a little location scouting close to home?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Scouting locations close to home can be fun!

I normally don't scout, but even without the LF, one can't help but look. This is close by along the river, taken a couple days ago...I'll try something here this winter -- just don't know what yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BLTree.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

All my photos are pre-scouted. Covid lockdown has made for more scouting opportunities, and as of today we also now have a curfew from 8pm-5am, which is ideal for me - just need to figure out how not to get fined for breaking curfew...

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Not knowing the exact location and a sketchy description, we took a hike in search of the Winchell Cove Cemetery somewhere on a point overlooking Winchell Cove Marina at Millerton Lake.
    This was our second attempt---on the first try Google Maps put us on the wrong road which took us close by a native Tribal cemetery which is definitely off limits. The Winchell Cove cemetery was the reinternment of the graves in cemetery at the old county seat of Millerton, which was covered by Millerton Lake when Friant Dam on the San Joaquin River was constructed between 1937 and 1942. Millerton was a pretty rough town with a Fort, riverboat terminus, mining, cattle ranches, lots of saloons and a courthouse. It was also the trailhead for the French Trail which served to supply the mines at Mammoth on the other side of the Sierra via mule train.
    In the 1980s an Eagle Scout project mapped out the graves and apparently restored the wrought iron gate which helps locating where the heck the cemetery is among the oaks and chaparral.
    I took my 35mm (it's a scouting adventure after all) but I'll definitely return with my LF being a steep, but not terrible long hike from where we parked.
    It was great to get out during the 'rona lockdown and we had the place all to ourselves.

It's fun to scout out locations.
    Is anyone else spending the 'rona doing a little location scouting close to home?

I just found this info about the Winchell Cove Cemetery!
    https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/...=1#sr-60780160
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John Olsen

I'm getting desperate too. Today I tested composition and interior lighting for a shot that I really couldn't do with the 4x5 because of gusty winds. I wanted to figure out the balance between my Vivitar flash light on the entrance vs the exterior ambient. Now, as soon as I get a less miserable day I can go back and know what my settings ought to be.