Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boosting contrast with extended development, your choice of film.

Re: Boosting contrast with extended development, your choice of film.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I'll second using RF to increase contrast -- which rules out TMax, etc.

And I have given well-exposed negatives a slight bleach to deepen the shadows followed by selenium toning to boost the highlights. Perhaps something like that would come in useful if you have a neg or two that end up a little shy on contrast.
    All good stuff, thank you Vaughn and all who have taken the time to share your knowledge.

Yesterday I Googled WD2H+ and the first site up was a PDF of the 3rd edition of the cookbook. I have no idea where it came from.
    When I am in real need of HL density, I tone the negative in Sepia. More increase than with selenium.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Yesterday I Googled WD2H+ and the first site up was a PDF of the 3rd edition of the cookbook. I have no idea where it came from.
    When I am in real need of HL density, I tone the negative in Sepia. More increase than with selenium.
    Do you find your low values dropping a little with sepia toning (seems to happen with prints a little)? Actually would help to boost contrast...along the lines of my bleaching then selenium toning. Sepia toning would preserve the negative!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

You likely want to do a test using a 4x5 step wedge or a low contrast backyard scene. Develop one sheet normally then another at 50% more time. Then print both using various grade filters (assuming you use VC papers). You may find you can expand 3 stops using just printing filters vs trying to expand the negative. I like the way FP4 expands in zones 4-7 with Pyrocat M but most of the time I only do a 10%-15% increase in development time and work with the blue filter more. You can also try using a print developer like Ansco 130 at 1:10 for 10-12 minutes for film. IF you tend to scan then it is more important to have all the tones captured than to have a contrasty negative, so the RF method works.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography