Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to pre wash photo paper?

Is it possible to pre wash photo paper?

Hi all,

Bit of a left field question I think but bear with me. Im going to be doing some photograms with black and white rc and fb paper.

I’m putting various liquids in contact with the paper that will then be the thing that makes the image on the photogram. The liquids will all be of different types and consistencies so I want to avoid them from contaminating the developer bath. So I wondered if it is possible to expose the paper to light with the liquid on it, which will form the image, then to wash the liquid off in a water bath, then to develop the paper as normal.

Any thoughts on potential problems with this?

I prewash my film prior to development so I thoughts perhaps I could also do this with paper?

Thanks.

Danny.

Re: Is it possible to pre wash photo paper?

You can "pre-wash" or wash off your liquids. Some will most likely have soaked in a bit and no matter the "pre-wash" they will have an effect on development.

Pre soaking negatives is a normal practice.

Water bath during development is a normal practice, at least for some photographers and some papers.

Try it and keep track of your results so you can work towards control with it.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    You can "pre-wash" or wash off your liquids. Some will most likely have soaked in a bit and no matter the "pre-wash" they will have an effect on development.

Pre soaking negatives is a normal practice.

Water bath during development is a normal practice, at least for some photographers and some papers.

Try it and keep track of your results so you can work towards control with it.
    Thanks for your response. Good to hear that pre washing the prints is possible, I suspect it will be required with the fb paper as it’s more absorbent than rc.

I always use several water baths after fixing so I’m familiar with it but have not heard of pre washing when printing.

Thanks.

Maybe animal specimens in formaldehyde... Sorry my curiosity

Enviado desde mi M2003J15SC mediante Tapatalk

Maybe if you don't want the liquid on the paper to contaminate the chemicals, put a sheet of mylar or other thin plastic sheet over the paper when being exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Maybe if you don't want the liquid on the paper to contaminate the chemicals, put a sheet of mylar or other thin plastic sheet over the paper when being exposed.
    ... or glass. You might get a halo effect around the liquids that could be interesting. The more collimated the light source (think point-source or condensers), the less halo effect.

Pre-washing your paper before developing won't hurt it.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Good point. A carefully located thin layer of transparent kitchen film could work.

Enviado desde mi M2003J15SC mediante Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies all!

Just to note...that I've had problems in attempting to pre-soak Ilford Multigrade Classic FB, giving very uneven results. From what I can see, what happened here is that the pre soak interfered with developer uptake. I also have a gut feeling that this particular paper (which I feel is otherwise a great product) may have more issues with pre-soaking than would other FB papers. I say this because of what looks like an "extra" surface coating layer, which is slightly yellow in color, visible on the dry, unexposed paper. Just a hunch...mind you.

I'd also done an amount of experimenting in the past with pre-soaking papers in developer, squeegeeing off excess developer, laying flat on a glass easel, then exposing to various amounts of light - interrupting this to allow for partial development prior to making a further exposure...even multiple exposures. The idea here was to do a partial reversal...allowing the partially developed areas to partially mask from additional light. While some of the results were quite nifty...I stopped doing this because, well, "nifty" just didn't cut it.

In your case...I might worry about the various liquids you want to use, depending upon their compositions, colors, densities, and other characteristics, might indeed interfere with later development in some way(s). Not saying you shouldn't try this (direct application) anyway - because who knows and/or you may like these effects.

But I would have to agree that placing some protective, otherwise clear plastic (saran wrap, etc.) over the top of the dry paper...and applying the liquids to this, might be the best procedure. Keep in mind, though, that unless you are very careful to thoroughly smooth out the protective plastic layer, you'd be likely to see some interesting artifacts from whatever waviness or creases might otherwise exist. You might like these artifacts, but then again maybe not.

If you're worried about contamination, use small quantities of one-shot paper developer and apply with a fresh sponge. The sponge method worked for me when I made 100x150cm prints and couldn't find (let alone afford) similar sized trays.