Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intrepid 4x5 as a permanent enlarger?

Drew Wiley

Re: Intrepid 4x5 as a permanent enlarger?

How low a ceiling do you actually have? The Durst 138 enlarger chassis is highly desirable, even if it takes awhile to assemble all the needed extra accessories. If you're not doing color printing, something like a cold light could be adapted above the negative stage with very little extra height above the main column, or even no extra height. You don't necessarily need to use the dedicated condenser head.

Of course, a dedicated enlarger is ideal, if you just make one size prints without cropping, you can use a camera/lightsource/good copy stand to enlarge on... I didn't always have a 4X5 enlarger set-up, but used a old SG/Graphlarger/stand that was used for book publishing projects and worked well... The nice thing was the rig was portable, and can fit in a suitcase... And slower/harder to use... But you can get into its groove... A really good copy stand will help a lot...

But getting the camera well aligned can be tricky but possible

Thank you everyone for your answers.

Like a lot of you have said, I just needed patience.

I found a LPL 7450 with a dichroic color light source for around $300 and immediately canceled my Intrepid order.
    I had to take the color mixer apart and clean it because the lubricants had solidified but it works perfectly now.

The only thing was, I though it was missing the 4x5 diffuser and quickly bought one on ebay, but then found it among all the accessories. Oh well.

With the enlarger I also got two analog Macbeth densitometers (one for film and I'm guessing the other for prints, if that's a thing?).
    Does anyone have any resources on how to use them? It'd be really interesting to test some of my most used film stocks.

Thanks,
    PiratePhD

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by PiratePhD View Post
    Thank you everyone for your answers.

Like a lot of you have said, I just needed patience.

I found a LPL 7450 with a dichroic color light source for around $300 and immediately canceled my Intrepid order.

The only thing was, I though it was missing the 4x5 diffuser and quickly bought one on ebay, but then found it among all the accessories. Oh well.

With the enlarger I also got two analog Macbeth densitometers (one for film and I'm guessing the other for prints, if that's a thing?).
    Does anyone have any resources on how to use them? It'd be really interesting to test some of my most used film stocks.

Thanks,
    PiratePhD
    Congrats, the LPL is a wonderful enlarger! I have two of them. If you pm me your Email, I'll send you a paper on the transmission densitometer in practical use. Which model did you get and is it linear? i.e. does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Congrats, the LPL is a wonderful enlarger! I have two of them. If you pm me your Email, I'll send you a paper on the transmission densitometer in practical use. Which model did you get and is it linear? i.e. does it work?
    It's a TD-102 I think. I haven't had the time or opportunity to try it out and my darkroom is at my mom's house, so I'll have to check it on the weekend.
    I found a manual for it though and it says calibration is only required if I change any of the components. But I'm not sure I have the calibration step tablet anyways.