Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 4x5 as a permanent enlarger?

Intrepid 4x5 as a permanent enlarger?

I currently have an Intrepid 4x5 (mk 4) but I'm thinking of upgrading to a Chamonix 45-F2 at some point.

I have also been looking for a 4x5 enlarger but haven't been successful in finding a good deal.

Would the Intrepid with their enlarger kit be a good permanent solution as a enlarger?

Thanks!

Re: Intrepid 4x5 as a permanent enlarger?

Please add your general location

Many 4X5 enlargers are available

& welcome to LFPF
    Tin Can

No, sell the camera. The set can be used with a rail camera which is much stiffer, or an enlarger.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by PiratePhD View Post

Would the Intrepid with their enlarger kit be a good permanent solution as a enlarger?

Thanks!
    No

I Join Randy Moe in Welcoming you to the forum

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

I have the Intrepid MK4, but also two other LF cameras. I love the MK4 for all that it is. But it isn't for me for every situation.

I had the Intrepid Enlarger Kit, and recently sold it. It was my intro to dark room. Worked fabulously, truly. But then scored a Beseler 45MX II Enlarger for free on Craigslist (plus tons of other valuable darkroom accessories). Also separately scored an 8 foot Stainless Steel darkroom sink...for free. Craigslist is amazing for darkroom finds. Patience, then being ready to jump, can work wonders.

Happy to now have a permanently installed enlarger in my garage/ darkroom/studio.

If I didn't have that space, then I'd have never sold the Intrepid Kit.

And, having just gotten a 5x7 back for my Sinar, I'm anticipating that teased-up Intrepid 5x7 Enlarger Kit!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Your profile doesn't include a location. I suggest you add it - someone might contact you from here. *edit: just saw the above. Make them an offer?

I bought my first enlarger from a somewhat local person who was on this forum. Paid a decent price for it, but it was a good kit and I still use it. I have bought or been given many enlargers since, and have given away many myself.

Be patient and you will find one. If you already had the Intrepid enlarger system, you could adapt it to an enlarger as sometimes heads are hard to find.

I suppose in the case of a horizontal enlarger, the Intrepid could make sense with a simple custom table attachment, but I wouldn't want to futz with a tripod trying to get perfectly perpendicular every time with a vertical setup. It's great that some can get into darkroom printing this way though, so I support the general idea, but I greatly prefer my large darkroom setup. But not everyone has a large basement like me.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Please add your general location

Many 4X5 enlargers are available

& welcome to LFPF
    Thanks!

I am in Switzerland, not sure that's gonna be helpful since most people here are probably US based.

There are two Durst Laborator 138 on our local "Craigslist" but one of them (about $650) only has the 35mm and MF condensers and the other one is about $1100.
    TBH they might not even fit in my darkroom because the ceiling is pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    I have the Intrepid MK4, but also two other LF cameras. I love the MK4 for all that it is. But it isn't for me for every situation.

I had the Intrepid Enlarger Kit, and recently sold it. It was my intro to dark room. Worked fabulously, truly. But then scored a Beseler 45MX II Enlarger for free on Craigslist (plus tons of other valuable darkroom accessories). Also separately scored an 8 foot Stainless Steel darkroom sink...for free. Craigslist is amazing for darkroom finds. Patience, then being ready to jump, can work wonders.

Happy to now have a permanently installed enlarger in my garage/ darkroom/studio.

If I didn't have that space, then I'd have never sold the Intrepid Kit.

And, having just gotten a 5x7 back for my Sinar, I'm anticipating that teased-up Intrepid 5x7 Enlarger Kit!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    I say permanent but I'd probably still be on the look out for a dedicated enlarger.
    Just that if I had a second 4x5 camera, the Intrepid would stay in the darkroom.

But I'm glad to hear that the Intrepid Kit is decent enough.
    I like working in the darkroom but only being able to do contact prints with 4x5 and having to use 35mm or MF for large prints feels kinda backwards.
    That's why I wanted to have at least something working in my darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by PiratePhD View Post
    Thanks!

I am in Switzerland, not sure that's gonna be helpful since most people here are probably US based.

There are two Durst Laborator 138 on our local "Craigslist" but one of them (about $650) only has the 35mm and MF condensers and the other one is about $1100.
    TBH they might not even fit in my darkroom because the ceiling is pretty low.
    Europe seems a little more challenging when it comes to finding large format enlargers. Nevertheless, in my experience, something attractive pops up once in a while. Given where you are, Durst is indeed your best (most likely) bet. There's a lot of 138's out there; 1200's as well, but less so. I had the luck to be gifted a 138 a few years ago by someone who had 3 or 4 and had serious trouble getting rid of them - even for free. I think he ended up throwing 2 of them away in the end. Getting the condensors is a little tricky, but especially the 240 condensors (the ones you'd use for 5x7" and that are also usable for 4x5") are fairly common.

I'd just keep an eye on your local trading/second hand platform. This is something that requires a little patience, but with good chances of success.

Can't comment on your question about using an Intrepid as an enlarger. It'll undoubtedly work, but also undoubtedly be a rather compromised solution. Especially if you compare it to something as solid and functional as a 138.

While an enlarger is essentially a view camera inverted there are a long list of realities using a view camera as an enlarger is a really BAD idea.

~Set up stability, how can any view camera be set up as an enlarger and remain stable?

~Film in film holder to be projected to the base board alignment, this is absolutely critical if projected images to the base board are have degree of definition.

~Film holder, sheet film can and often does not sit flat in the film holder as prints are being made. If a view camera is used as a enlarger what kind of film holder will be used?

~Film holder to base board distance must be easily adjustable and often tweaked to size the projected image as needed.

~Will there be enough distance between projection film holder to base board?

~View cameras are designed to be focused from the ground glass area. This will put the focusing mechanism is a very awkward place when used as an enlarger.

~Light source, what kind of light source will be used with the view camera as an enlarger?

~The viewing ground glass could be a light source problem.

~Light source leaks, if there are significant light leaks with the connection between light source to converted view camera, this can fog print paper and...!

This list easily continues on. IMO, get a proper enlarger, and yes one of the best would be a Durst 138 and it allows projections of sheet film to 5x7
    13x18cm. What is most important with Durst 138 ownership is the film carrier. These can be difficult to come by these days and absolutely essential for proper function of the 138. Condensers are not that difficult, or the head can be easily converted to diffusion or replaced with a color head as needed. The 138 chassis is entirely modular and alterable in many ways. Durst or DeVere are the enlarges to own all others are simply not as good.
    Once either enlarger has been used extensively and owned for some years and MANY prints made the inherent design goodness of the DeVere or Durst becomes apparent.

Bernice