Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to pre wash photo paper?

Re: Is it possible to pre wash photo paper?

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Just to note...that I've had problems in attempting to pre-soak Ilford Multigrade Classic FB, giving very uneven results. From what I can see, what happened here is that the pre soak interfered with developer uptake. I also have a gut feeling that this particular paper (which I feel is otherwise a great product) may have more issues with pre-soaking than would other FB papers. I say this because of what looks like an "extra" surface coating layer, which is slightly yellow in color, visible on the dry, unexposed paper. Just a hunch...mind you.

I'd also done an amount of experimenting in the past with pre-soaking papers in developer, squeegeeing off excess developer, laying flat on a glass easel, then exposing to various amounts of light - interrupting this to allow for partial development prior to making a further exposure...even multiple exposures. The idea here was to do a partial reversal...allowing the partially developed areas to partially mask from additional light. While some of the results were quite nifty...I stopped doing this because, well, "nifty" just didn't cut it.

In your case...I might worry about the various liquids you want to use, depending upon their compositions, colors, densities, and other characteristics, might indeed interfere with later development in some way(s). Not saying you shouldn't try this (direct application) anyway - because who knows and/or you may like these effects.

But I would have to agree that placing some protective, otherwise clear plastic (saran wrap, etc.) over the top of the dry paper...and applying the liquids to this, might be the best procedure. Keep in mind, though, that unless you are very careful to thoroughly smooth out the protective plastic layer, you'd be likely to see some interesting artifacts from whatever waviness or creases might otherwise exist. You might like these artifacts, but then again maybe not.
    Thanks for your informative response, that’s really helpful as I was intending to use some Ilford fb classic as a test, as I have some already. I’ll try this and rc too, I may we’ll go down the colour paper route but I’ll try b&w first.

The element of contact is vital so I won’t be using Mylar though I have lots of this for wet scanning. I’ll just have to see what the results are and go with the process over the aesthetics. I do want to keep the development as clear if pollution as possible though so I think I’ll need to have a pre wash stage in place.

If you think fb is more problematic then at least I know what to look out for with that.

I also have warm tone fb paper, do you know if that was problematic also?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    If you're worried about contamination, use small quantities of one-shot paper developer and apply with a fresh sponge. The sponge method worked for me when I made 100x150cm prints and couldn't find (let alone afford) similar sized trays.
    Thanks for the info, I hadn’t actually heard of this as a process and it might be a good tactic, can I ask how I would ensure even development on the paper with a sponge?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    Thanks for the info, I hadn’t actually heard of this as a process and it might be a good tactic, can I ask how I would ensure even development on the paper with a sponge?
    Dilute your developer a bit more than usual (I used 1+19 instead of my usual 1+9), and rub, rub, rub! Gently of course, and evenly. You may need to develop a bit longer with this method. After a few prints you'll get repeatable results.

Dilute your developer a bit more than usual (I used 1+19 instead of my usual 1+9), and rub, rub, rub! Gently of course, and evenly. You may need to develop a bit longer with this method. After a few prints you'll get repeatable results.
    Thanks for the info. So would I double the development time if I half the developer strength?

Thanks!

1,5x or 2x your standard development times would be a good starting point, yep.

1,5x or 2x your standard development times would be a good starting point, yep.
    Great thanks!