Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

Re: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    On FB there appear some sort of contests for electric conversions...I have always treated them as spam/scams, but they had a mid-60s VW bus modified for electric. Cool idea -- but one would be able to go way too fast in an unsafe vehicle for those speeds (>60 mph).
    Not to mention any electric conversion is never going to get anywhere close to the range of a vehicle designed to be electric from the ground up. Everything has to be light in an EV, and those old vehicle frames aren't light. Also EVs get much better range at 60 mph and below anyways, mostly because air resistance goes up exponentially with speed.

Zebra

There have been many excellent potential solutions to the question.

Fantasy land addition here;

www.arkonik.com

Outfitted exactly as you want it. Will go anywhere--so that the old adage that if its not fifty feet from the car its not photogenic can be stretched a bit! Put a Howling Moon Rooftop tent on it,

https://www.howlingmoon.com.au/rooftop-tents

and you will be able to get to untold amount of places that otherwise might be unavailable to a photographer.

There is the pesky detail of the price of these but you won't want for luxury/go anywhere capability.

a man can dream a little every now and then I suppose

Monty

All good Monty!

I signed in for Ark updates...

but this old man will not be sleeping on top of a vehicle as I need to visit the trees too often
    Tin Can

Les

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D01_9635.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	211205[ATTACH=CONFIG]211205[/ATTACH
    Purchased this heap used. Drove all over Alaska, from Homer to Fairbanks, to Valdez, Seward, etc etc. From Moose and its young ones in my campground to Aurora Borealis, to Denali, to cooking salmon just plunked 2hrs prior, to Wrangell-St Alias, etc, etc. The van is still up there and I come for a visit - Kodiak next. :>)

Les
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D02_0187.jpg  

Drew Wiley

It's instructive to watch reruns of the Beverly Hillbillies. My style. Helps to bring your own goats along.

hi, i was never a friend of the idea of having a wc in the car. why? anyway, we took a roof tent. https://www.ikamper.com/products/x-cover that fits on a porsche as well as on a ford tourneo. greetings

I have been astounded at how easy it has been to camp a night or two in my RAV4. Put in a memory foam mattress, throw a tarp over the roof, and store the stuff unlikely to attract thieves on the roof at night.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will look into the campers you suggested. Recently Mercedes announced it would sell a getaway-Metris camper. See link bellow.

https://www.mbvans.com/en/metris-getaway

Cool -- that is basically what I have now (pictured above). Tho I have to admit I like having a 2002 instead of a 2022, only because it is just so dang simpler...and has a cassette player.

The other big difference is that the EuroVan is beefier, as it was designed as a work vehicle besides a passenger van. Heavier suspension, a little more ground clearance.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It's instructive to watch reruns of the Beverly Hillbillies. My style. Helps to bring your own goats along.
    Having Granny in her rocker up in the crow's nest bird dogging photo ops is a nice feature!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White