Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

Re: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

I am currently exploring this option. Buy a Metris Cargo Van and convert it to a Camper van by DIY. Did you do insulation for your Metris van?

Quote Originally Posted by trekkin View Post
    I bought the Mercades Metris 2-seater base business model with stripped interior and put a folding bed in it. Add an ice chest, Coleman stove, folding table, folding chairs and we are ready to travel. The base model Metris is the cheapest Mercades product, low $30's. Turbocharged 4 cylinder engine, good gas mileage and lots of power. Conventional rear wheel drive. Fun to drive, very solid product. An advantage over the Sprinter is that the Metris is low enough to park in our garage; although the disadvantage is that you can't stand up inside.

Here's a site where I bought some gear, like big hitches

They are good to look at for what is available, they are reliable and ship quick

They just sent me this, a good read and advice on Solar or not, I use an old Honda EU1000i

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-4-reaso...0aAtVkEALw_wcB
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    I am currently exploring this option. Buy a Metris Cargo Van and convert it to a Camper van by DIY. Did you do insulation for your Metris van?
    Yes, it came with some hard panels in place on the walls, and I took them off and put insulation behind them. Glued reflective bubble foam to the roof and wheel wells. Still a work in progress. Insulation helped deaden road noise some.

I stow a full 8x10 photo outfit including wooden tripod beneath the folding bed against the left wall. There, I wanted to include some photo-related content...
    Last edited by trekkin; 29-Jan-2021 at 10:51.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ecamper.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	212035
    Same idea as the VW but you can go uphill!

not a fan of rooftop camping, but this is my backyard

Web Happy Camper by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

TC -- my two boys and I spent a three weeks driving through southern Chile in a small mini-van type vehicle with a 4-person rooftop tent. Do not leave shoes or anything you want to get wet at the bottom of the ladder...four or five steps down was as far as I got usually got in the wee morning hours.

Also was the windy season down there in Patagonia. Lots of movement and noisy! At least with a ground tent, one can set it up on the lee side of the vehicle! But we could cook and shelter under the tent overhang when it rained. It worked, but certainly is not the way I prefer to go. By the time we got done with that van, it was toast. It was not built for Hwy 40 (Argentina)...or our exploration of a new border crossing back into Chile on Hwy 41.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChileCamp.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Vaughn, It looks like the mini van you sons used has a separate roof mounted tent. Out Honda Element has a clam shell type top built onto it like your Euro van. I can open and access from inside. Everything has it's pros and cons. My favorite pro with this is not pulling in well after dark and having to set up a tent. I park and can be in my sleeping bag in less than 2 minutes.

each to their own way of course

I have traveled solo for a long time and like it
    Tin Can

Just remembered my 1971 VW type 2 bus. Had the weekender package. Except for the fog lamps it was stock on the outside with the original stock engine. Inside had a lot of practical renovations. Drove it on some 4WD back roads without any problems. Driving it down Rt 95 with a gusty crosswind a problem. Had a lot of "hidden" compartments for photo equipment storage. When crossing the border from Canada to the USA one time was pulled over and spent hours as 2 border guards "inspected" the bus. Looked into acquiring one again probably 3 years ago, and the one I liked was going for 30K plus. Ended up acquiring a beautifully restored '79 Bug convertible for half that price. Don't go road camping with it, but for one day road excursions. Park on the side of the road here in New England with the 11x14 view camera set up near it and it's a sure bet that passers by will stop.

I drove my 1973 Cadillac from Canada into USA where USA damn near took it apart.

I was with wife and 2 children.

2001 I drove my Pickup with TIN CAN COLLEGE stickers like a business and Canada flipped out with many intense questions. Then the gate opened. 18 hours later 911 happened. I was in Thunder Bay.

Canadian news said the USA border was now closed. I drove to it anyway. I think I was the last car back in.

This picture was shot the day after 911 in far northern MN

1-1-TIN CAN COLLEGEweb by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can