Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

Re: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    That makes it easier for the mailman to drop mail into mailboxes without having to get out of the truck or move from the driver's seat on the right. So he can drive from home to home quickly and more efficiently. How do they do it in Australia?
    Alan, all of the postal vehicles run with a normal steering wheel position, so in Australia the steering wheel is on the right. Drivers have to walk around the vehicle to the service door, extract the parcel, then make the delivery.

Other vehicles that require wrong side steering, like street cleaning or semi automated garbage collection vehicles, have dual controls. Meaning they have two steering wheels and two sets of foot levers so that when on the job the driver/operator sits on the left or gutter side and does the job. Once the dedicated part of their round is finished, they move to the right side of the vehicle to drive normally.

The Germans in the form of the Unimog vehicle, have taken this one step further. They have as an option, the possibility of sliding the steering wheel and the foot controls from one side to the other. Takes about 30 seconds to do the deed; very neat and a perfect solution to the world traveller.

Mick.

Eric Woodbury

Some Caribbean nations, former Brit colonies, solved this right/left problem another way. Drive on the left with left-hand drive cars. Not sure, does that make everybody happy or nobody happy?
    Last edited by Eric Woodbury; 8-Feb-2021 at 15:05. Reason: fix typos

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Some Caribbean nations, former Brit colonies, solved this right/left problem another way. Drive on the left with left-hand drive cars. Not sure, does that make everybody happy or nobody happy?
    I heard New Zealand was thinking of going to driving on the right side of the road...too many bloody tourists from America. They are going to give it a go and have all the cars drive on the right for three months. If it works out, trucks and buses will too.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Is that a 1940's airstream you are pulling? Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I drove my 1973 Cadillac from Canada into USA where USA damn near took it apart.

I was with wife and 2 children.

2001 I drove my Pickup with TIN CAN COLLEGE stickers like a business and Canada flipped out with many intense questions. Then the gate opened. 18 hours later 911 happened. I was in Thunder Bay.

Canadian news said the USA border was now closed. I drove to it anyway. I think I was the last car back in.

This picture was shot the day after 911 in far northern MN

1-1-TIN CAN COLLEGEweb by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Actually a 60's AVION made by a company formed with disgruntled Airstream employees

Notice my connection to a far earlier club, let the slow link load for some interesting history

AVION are not allowed in Airstream clubs
    Tin Can

This will go just about anywhere—my current Ford Expedition EL with a hatch tent. I use the mattress from my GMC Motorhome. Fine for one, comfortable for two if they love each other. Four-wheel drive and high enough clearance for rough fire roads, but modern.

But this is road-tripping in style, if you need a bathroom. Abundant for two, but still only 24 feet long. Not as modern, and I’ve taken it down some nasty roads with the air suspension in the back at full height.

Rick “whose road camping adventures started with a 1971 VW tin-top Campmobile” Denney

David, are you close to Ft Myers?

Maybe look here

https://www.northtrailrv.com/invento...saAt3MEALw_wcB
    Tin Can

3 hour driving to Ft. Myers. Those airstream RVs look great! Thanks!

David, are you close to Ft Myers?

Maybe look here

https://www.northtrailrv.com/invento...saAt3MEALw_wcB

All USPS route delivery trucks are RHD

I drove many as a teenager

They are all beat to death and best as scrap
    I had a friend who got one of the old postal jeeps.
    Yup, it was beat to near death.
    It ended up spending the summer as a neighborhood ice cream truck with a Whirlpool chest freezer in the back and a loudspeaker bolted to the roof playing some children's tune over and over (and over)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

25 years ago when I still went to dance clubs, our designated driver, had a Jeep 2WD Postal 'thing'

No safety, all steel, 2 bare seats in front

Often I was in back with 2 women that kept me warm as we usually went out only on very snowy late nights

I almost miss the good old days

when I could dance all night
    Tin Can