Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

Re: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

I have owned a Sprinter van since the second year they offered the 4x4 option. I would give it a grade of B. We have had trouble with DEF (NOX) sensor problems as well as frozen DEF lines. We are not unique; I believe that these are noted problems with the diesel Sprinter Vans. Service centers in the Mountain West area can be few and far between. I don't know about other regions in the country. Be sure that can have the Sprinter van readily serviced before purchasing one. Not all is bad with the Sprinter. With that being said, I am now looking at the Ford Transit as a replacement because it is now offered with AWD (a minimum where I live) with a gasoline engine. A 4x4 sprinter can only be had with a diesel engine (or so it was when we purchased ours.)

Les

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V03_7097_00001.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	211830

Sprinter was a nice dream. I went with a custom (by Belair)....the truck has 21yrs. Way back I had a mattress made that fits between wheel wells....and it's still in use. Trying to avoid moss inside this space, I had a vent installed above the cab and there is also a crank vent in the ceiling. The windows slide and have screens. The rear door flips up and it's similar in function as in the teardrop - one is covered from elements, and it's great for cooking, etc. There are two LED lights and the small space above the cab allows me to stash lighter things like a belt, extra hoses, emerg food supply, water etc....and even a small heater....if I'm camping when it's really cold & have access to elect. The smallness of the shell was also by design. Overall I've lost 3MPG, tho the front deflects the air fairly well.

Anyway, this allows me to flip the mattress to the side (at will) make some brew and even gander outside into the nature in awful weather....or read a book. My previous shell was so low, that I couldn't sit inside.

This is my resolve, tho it may not be for others. Took the pic in Yellowstone in the first week of June 2020.

Les

Looks great, Les.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Les

Thanks, Peter.

After seeing one of these in a lot, my wife and I finally worked around to getting the trailer and a truck used. Being a pop-up, we can easily store it in our garage.

It's not a campervan, but it has many of the same advantages. Being a trailer, one can leave it in a campground and then explore with the truck. That's especially nice, when my wife and I are traveling together. As for a quick stop at a rest area, it sets up in about two minutes. The following is close to the floorplan of this particular model, except that the couch on the left side is always unfolded as a bed.

https://chaletinc.com/the-classic/

It's comfortable and like a home away from home. This photo was taken at the Laguna Seca Raseway Campground near Carmel, while I was attending a John Sexton workshop 15 minutes away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trailer.jpg  
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 18-Mar-2021 at 12:36.

I had to blink twice at your picture, as in 1977 I had a stick built version made for my '77 blue GMC

back then the truck was $3500, the custom top $1200, I put a small outside vented RV furnace in it, as I learned how cold a steel floor can be in winter

one day I may find the picture of it

I also used it for Mobile Motorcycle repairs with magnetic removable signs, "Randy's Rolling Repair"

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post

Name:	V03_7097_00001.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	211830

Sprinter was a nice dream. I went with a custom (by Belair)....the truck has 21yrs. Way back I had a mattress made that fits between wheel wells....and it's still in use. Trying to avoid moss inside this space, I had a vent installed above the cab and there is also a crank vent in the ceiling. The windows slide and have screens. The rear door flips up and it's similar in function as in the teardrop - one is covered from elements, and it's great for cooking, etc. There are two LED lights and the small space above the cab allows me to stash lighter things like a belt, extra hoses, emerg food supply, water etc....and even a small heater....if I'm camping when it's really cold & have access to elect. The smallness of the shell was also by design. Overall I've lost 3MPG, tho the front deflects the air fairly well.

Anyway, this allows me to flip the mattress to the side (at will) make some brew and even gander outside into the nature in awful weather....or read a book. My previous shell was so low, that I couldn't sit inside.

This is my resolve, tho it may not be for others. Took the pic in Yellowstone in the first week of June 2020.

Les
    Tin Can

Contacted local Mercedes dealer about its Metris Getaway/Weekender camper van. The campers will be available in March/April with limited numbers, only 5 campers available in Southeast region. Price is in mid and high 70 thousands range.

Name:	MetrisGetaway.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	211843

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Driving by a trailer lot, I caught a glimpse of a pop-up trailer like the one shown. I stopped to get a closer look, and that was it. When my little Metro gave up the ghost a couple of years later, we purchased the truck shown in the photo.

A little later, we bought the trailer used. It looks a little small from the outside, but it's actually quite roomy. I like having a trailer. We can part it in a campground, and then explore with the truck. It includes a sink, a three-burner stove, and a fridge that can run on propane, a bed, and a table and two benches. It takes about two minutes to pop up the roof.

It's like a home away from home.
    Friends of ours has an Aliner that they like a lot. They pull theirs with a Subaru Forester.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

I bought the Mercades Metris 2-seater base business model with stripped interior and put a folding bed in it. Add an ice chest, Coleman stove, folding table, folding chairs and we are ready to travel. The base model Metris is the cheapest Mercades product, low $30's. Turbocharged 4 cylinder engine, good gas mileage and lots of power. Conventional rear wheel drive. Fun to drive, very solid product. An advantage over the Sprinter is that the Metris is low enough to park in our garage; although the disadvantage is that you can't stand up inside.

Les

Randy, judging by MB costing over 70K, time marches on and so do prices since '77. My cap was little over $2500 few years ago (new). I've addressed the cold floor issue from day one. Had two layers of 2" solid pink insulation cut to fit the floor. It kept me cozy and protected the floor at the same time. The main reason I chose Dakota, since the bed is 6.5ft long and my 6'-2" (shrinking height ?) body fits in there quite comfy.

If I had to replace things.....I'd likely go for Dodge Pacifica. The rear seats fold....allowing pretty much a flat <perfect for camping > surface.

Les