Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

I am looking for information for a use or new camper van. Do you have any suggestions and experience for a camper van to share? I heard the Weekender from Peace Van is very good. Thanks, David

Re: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

How many people, what type of roads, how long of trips, do you need/want a toilet in it, want it self-contained or not?

My photomobile -- pop top, fold out bed, second battery for inside lights, can handle rough roads, no toilet/stove/fridge. I love it...a great one-person machine. Fine for two. I use to be on the road with it with my three boys, also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2002EuroVan.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    I am looking for information for a use or new camper van. Do you have any suggestions and experience for a camper van to share? I heard the Weekender from Peace Van is very good. Thanks, David

Friends of mine just bought a 'Sprinter' style van and had this place in Reno convert it to a camper for them in one day....

Not sure how the price compares to just getting a readymade one, but I was impressed, you can stand up in the van, and the build out seemed stylish and functional.

I always want a vehicle that can be fixed wherever I go

When i was looking for a new empty van, in 2017 which I prefer I rejected many vans as i looked in the dealer repair shops.

I see the Piece Van is a tiny mercedes, not recommended, except in EU

I used already well worn VW Aircooled Bus from 1971 to 2010, 2 of 10 had to be sent home on a truck, 1 from Montreal. Both were cured by me once home. California, Brazil and Mexico can fix them easily.

Ford Transit made in Turkey, Spain and the big ones are shipped on deck, to get pre-rusted by salt water as are the Dodge Ram

Dodge Ram Promaster are only good for local fleets without the terrible diesel engine which are still in dealer shops everywhere. Fiats! https://www.allpar.com/threads/dodge...ducato.229497/

Good American designed and Made in USA Nissan NV are discontinued. I almost bought the biggest. https://tfltruck.com/2020/10/nissan-...-way-for-a-new strategy/

GMC/GM Vans are good in USA, not elsewhere, many dealers can fix them. https://www.gmc.com/vans

I bought a new 2017 Ford F150, it still works!

The big question is, how much will you use it? How long are your vacations?

Rent and walk away when it breaks

Fly home just like I did when my VW's broke,

Pretty busy in the tourist areas until the Plague ends in a few years...
    Tin Can

I put this on my F150 with a Bed Rug

https://www.leer.com/truck-cap/122

I may add this lift

https://topperezlift.com/index.php/p...amper-package/
    Tin Can

2021 will have sleeper seats in Pickups

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...0front%20seats.

an option I have long wanted

I removed all seats from my 1994 Civic VX for some trips, I could sleep, carry a lot of gear. I drove that thing anywhere including Burning Man 1999 which I entered from Winnemucca on a mining road. Tricky sandy path...100 miles of fun, saw only one other vehicle, a guy on a mountain bicycle. I gave him water, then he went the other way...
    Tin Can

For me it was a Rialta. Good resource of info at:
    https://www.poptopheaven.com/about_rialta.asp

Pluses: All the luxuries: range, oven, frig, bath, AC, etc. Based on the front end of a VW Eurovan so maintenance and repairs easily done at any VW dealership. 22mpg! No duals in the rear so lower toll fees. Able to be parked in a normal automobile space in a parking lot. Was easy to darken the windows and make it into a mobile darkroom. On the road amazingly quite stable in high cross winds (with a strong cross wind gust my Type 2 would easily change lanes by itself, very scary if on a high bridge). Drove more like a van than a RV. Great AC and heat. A lot easier to boondock with since it looked like a large van and not a RV. In town parking lots that didn't allow RV parking, just asked the town's police for permission and was always told no problem, just not for overnight. Great for traveling with a dog since he could lie on the rear folded down bed and look out the large rear window. Was told by another owner that it could be towed by a normal tow truck, but honestly not sure about that claim. Great for 2 people and a dog. Amazingly a good amount of storage.

Minuses: Smallish water capacity for using it as a portable darkroom. Rear axle air bags that if accidently under inflated, the RV drove like a pig on stilts when going over 60mph. People constantly approached me asking if it was FS. Tight for overnighting with 3 or more people.

Tin Can

Eric Woodbury

Ford E350 van with Sportsmobile poptop modification is my mode of travel. Works well for one to four. No extras. (If I want to cook and clean, I stay home.) More Ford repair shops in US than probably anybody else, altho I've never had an issue and this is my second one. If I were to look today, I'd look at the Ford Transit. I'm trying to find my daughter a Connect. Best way to shop is to go camping and see what others are driving. There's lots of new and old, big and small rigs. Something for anybody and everybody. Happy trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    On FB there appear some sort of contests for electric conversions...I have always treated them as spam/scams, but they had a mid-60s VW bus modified for electric. Cool idea -- but one would be able to go way too fast in an unsafe vehicle for those speeds (>60 mph).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China