Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Prototype RF-coupled 4x5 camera

Re: Prototype RF-coupled 4x5 camera

Okay, good to know about the Wista lobes, my bad. I disagree about the rest of your points. Just look around here - many talk about how there's no perfect camera and therefore multiple cameras is the norm. Obviously this kind of product is not made for macro or movements. One can buy any of the many, many excellent cameras for those types of images, many available brand new today, from cheap to expensive. It should be clear that "handheld" 4x5 w/ RF is where there is less options, especially new. The VAST majority of people aren't buying new Wista RF or Linhof MT cameras, if any.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

3 sheets instead of 2 sheets is a 50% inmprovement. That's progress to me. As I have not had any successful use of a Grafmatic I disqualify it. Now I do admit that having to lug around a lenscone for each lens is in my opinion not a good idea. they might be light but the certainly will become bulky once you go to 180-300mm.

I admit that I prefer to take my selfmade 4x5 with a fixed focus 125mm instead of the Wista. Just because it is so much easier.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Took me years to calm down enough to finally get my 6 Grafmatics to work well

I would do everything wrong, I thought the septums went the other way

I still do!

but now they work!

I should marry a Grafmatic to my good working Travelwide and.....travel

but noooo I am staying home alone until the cows come home

no cows near me

just deer and feral cats, them cats are scary
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Took me years to calm down enough to finally get my 6 Grafmatics to work well

I would do everything wrong, I thought the septums went the other way

I still do!

but now they work!

I should marry a Grafmatic to my good working Travelwide and.....travel

but noooo I am staying home alone until the cows come home

no cows near me

just deer and feral cats, them cats are scary
    When we got married back in ‘63 I was in the USAF and we found a feral cat living underneath our apartment. Beautiful black cat, pregnant and mean as hell.
    We brought her inside and tried to tame her, not very successfully. Until she was about to have her kittens. Then she became very dependent and friendly.
    She had 5 kittens and then became very unfriendly again.
    We had a squirrel monkey and the monkey couldn’t stand the cat. Whenever the cat got close to the monkeys cage he would reach out, grab her tail and yank on it till the cat cried out.
    However, when the kittens were near he would open his cage and play and nap with them.

Arca-Swiss

Well, guys you forgot this one: Thor Loader. https://www.dropbox.com/s/guma97twk1...oader.png?dl=0

It accepts a 50 sheet box and changes the sheet with the touch of a button. A bit heavy though, so only works with a Graflok back. I had them in the store a couple times. Worked ok, but I remember they were over a $1000, in the 1990s, I think.

Do you remember seeing them Bob?
    Last edited by Rod Klukas; 7-Jan-2021 at 19:04. Reason: punctuation.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    Well, guys you forgot this one: Thor Loader. https://www.dropbox.com/s/guma97twk1...oader.png?dl=0

It accepts a 50 sheet box and changes the sheet with the touch of a button. A bit heavy though, so only works with a Graflok back. I had them in the store a couple times. Worked ok, but I remember they were over a $1000, in the 1990s, I think.

Do you remember seeing them Bob?
    I remember a motorized sheet film back that I think was called Wolf. Don’t know if it’s the same one. It wasn’t around very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post

It accepts a 50 sheet box and changes the sheet with the touch of a button. A bit heavy though, so only works with a Graflok back. I had them in the store a couple times. Worked ok, but I remember they were over a $1000, in the 1990s, I think
    I really like that! But I says "still in prototype". Anyone knows if they went into production.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

The idea of a compact RF-coupled 4x5 camera is to be welcomed. Cameras like the Wista RF and Linhof do need substantial improvement in design and usability.

However, I'm not sure how the film magazine in this prototype camera works. A changing tent would be needed to one load film in the field. Or does the photographer need to carry 3 magazines? What happens to the one or two sheets of film remaining in the box? Can the magazine be loaded with only one sheet? Cost of 3 magazines vs. cost of film holders?

A few clarifications about the Wista RF:

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    All old stuff where you might happen upon a working one if lucky. Most of them (expensive) antiques. Finding spare parts like a bellow you need to trust someone in his shed making one that can serve you an keep working long enough to make it worthwhile.
    I've sold dozens of Wista RF cameras in excellent working condition. Wista still makes the RF, and I can get any Wista RF camera serviced, supply spare parts and most accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Some perspective: the two RF-coupled 4x5 cameras available right now cost about $9.900 (Wista RF)
    I can supply a brand new Wista RF for 405,000 JPY if anyone wants.

Kumar

I wish the designer well with his plans. The name LFC-1 brings Liverpool Football Club to mind more than anything camera related. He says in his about me page that he likes "soccer", he should know better - or is he a Liverpool fan?

Thanks for the info Kumar. I was referencing B&H's current listed price...interesting you could get one for 60% less.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome