Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: the thread for Kodak XTOL quality control issues

Re: the thread for Kodak XTOL quality control issues

Quote Originally Posted by tomwilliams View Post
    I haven't seen the Legacy Pro xtol clone mentioned ... it seems to work well for me as an xtol substitute, and I haven't had to wait on supplies of Legacy Pro as I have had to do with xtol. Any quality or consistency issues noted with Legacy Pro?
    Not that I know of. Of course there has been much speculation about all this, but who knows.

Let me add that I've read the recent threads following failures with defective xtol, and threads about occasional inexplicable failures with xtol. There has been mention of alternatives to xtol in those threads, but what I haven't seen much of are statements of experience by users of the Legacy Pro product. Are there consistent users willing to comment?

I have been through 2 bags/batches of Legacy Pro Developer with great results. I have run 4x5 sheets of Ilford Delta 100, Tmax 100, Rollei RPX 25, and Foma 100. As for the Tmax 100, I have found that stock solution works best. I am running 6 sheets at a time in a Paterson Tank and a 20th Century Camera reel. Hope this helps. Kodak said they were sending more Xtol in mid-Feb. We will see....

I'm waiting for Kodak's replacement for my defective xtol as well, but not sure about using what they send. I would expect such an outfit could exert sufficient pressure on their suppliers that the problem should be corrected quickly. But, as you mention urnem57, we will see. In the meantime, Legacy Pro has not disappointed me yet...
    Last edited by tomwilliams; 25-Jan-2021 at 07:09. Reason: malapropism

Just out of curiosity...have others been told “Mid February” for the shipments of replacement Xtol? I am very skeptical about using it without wasting at least one tankful from each bag by testing it. Seems like an unfair trade. I have also been researching this a bit and it seems that there have been multiple Xtol failures in the last few years. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by urnem57 View Post
    Just out of curiosity...have others been told “Mid February” for the shipments of replacement Xtol? I am very skeptical about using it without wasting at least one tankful from each bag by testing it. Seems like an unfair trade. I have also been researching this a bit and it seems that there have been multiple Xtol failures in the last few years. Not good.
    Still mid-Feb so far, from a new supplier. I don't know what part(s) of XTOL production or packaging the new supplier is involved with. As far as I know the specifics regarding the most recent XTOL issue were not disclosed.

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/phot...chem-tech-info

I know mid-Feb isn't too far off but I'm now completely out of XTOL and my replenished solution is just hanging out aging away. Anyone in the same boat that perhaps has tried Eco Pro? Thinking of making getting it at least as a stop-gap.

I kinda wonder if the new supplier will change the XTOL formula back to the "old" stuff. Adox mentioned the new stuff has a different contrast and has teased about working on their own XTOL-like developer. At this point given I use replenishment, having something stable and reliable is perhaps more important so I don't have to retest film again buuuut I really enjoy Adox products and given I've been burned by this twice now, I'm a little torn on options.

As I recall the new supplier is the same one that does their C-41? That stuff seems pretty rock solid so gosh hopefully this is the last recall of XTOL for a while...I'm just getting antsy with a growing queue of stuff to develop.

The Adox thing is nonsense. There is no evidence Kodak changed anything in the formula.

The Eco Pro clone purportedly works like XTOL. There is no guarantee development times will be identical but it could be a product worth trying.

Indeed I would like to see more proof before such grand claims. But the HC-110 formula is different (same results, but questionable longevity since it's no longer a syrup), there was that weird thing with D76, 2 recalls in what 12 months for XTOL. Whatever supplier Kodak was using before I don't think had their act quite together. So I'd say it's plausible XTOL may be different. Though I haven't done any comparisons myself and don't have old XTOL around to do those so it's plausible, but definitely unsubstantiated at this point. I think if Adox does come out with some sort of XTOL-like solution, I think I might give it a go.

In the meantime, I did reach out to Sino Promise (the new chemical supplier) on an update for the replacement XTOL but I would expect the mid-Feb estimate is accurate. I think I'll go ahead and order some of the Eco stuff just to have it around in case the date gets pushed back further.

I bought two bags that are from this problem batches. I mixed one up a month before the announcement and had no issues with it, other then floaters when initially mixing it up (they went away). I used some of this developer as recent as late last month, and the negs turned out fine. So even though my batch is supposed to be bad, it is working as its supposed to.