Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the thread for Kodak XTOL quality control issues

Re: the thread for Kodak XTOL quality control issues

If you know where to get control strips I'd love to know about it...

I believe ic-racer has a sensitometer and can make them, at least for black and white anyway.

I think it's a good time for users to get on the same page and list the issues they share... Is it storage issues, dev failure, staining etc???

Bring this up directly with Alaris... A Kodak rep once told me they get all kinds of screwy complaints from wacky users, so it all needs to be listed together...

Stick together!!!

Steve K

Again, Alaris (actually now Sino Promise) issued the notice, which is why I posted it here. I don’t think they have explained exactly what the “trade concern” is, but if you have any XTOL with the listed date codes they will replace it. In the latest service bulletin and responses to email inquiries they are saying they have a new supplier and hope to have replacement product in February. Update on the brown Dektol issue as well. Read here:

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/phot...chem-tech-info

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I think it's a good time for users to get on the same page and list the issues they share... Is it storage issues, dev failure, staining etc???

Bring this up directly with Alaris... A Kodak rep once told me they get all kinds of screwy complaints from wacky users, so it all needs to be listed together...

Stick together!!!

Steve K

Geez glad I stumbled onto this. I knew about the notice but for some reason thought my batch was unaffected. I looked and sure enough it is. Second time I've been hit by a bad batch :/ Sure hope they get it sorted out.

ADOX hinted that they're working on their own XTOL. I might like to see that, though not sure what to do with my XTOL-R batch. It's well seasoned and has been quite reliable for me. Not sure the impact of just dumping an XTOL clone into it. Likewise, getting Adox chems here in the states might be an issue?

I would wait for the new batches of XTOL (currently expected mid Feb).

Oof Mid-Feb is cutting it close for me. I'm down to about 300ml of stock for my replenishment. But yep probably wise. I e-mailed Kodak (using the email from OPs post). Of note they appear to be directly from Sino Promise which, I would guess is the new Kodak chemical supplier? In any event, they offered to replace the product and mentioned there's no need to return the bad batch. This is very similar to the last time there was an issue with XTOL so all told it was a pretty easy process.

I bought 4 bags of Xtol from 2 different sources. ALL of them were bad. It was only after destroying 6 sheets of 4x5 film that I started researching the “Trade concern”
    I then bought a bag of D76 from a 3rd supplier. It too was bad. It looked like maple syrup as I was mixing it. It’s pretty sad that a once great company named Kodak is now just an empty brand name that can’t even competently produce reliable chemistry. After 50 years of using
    strictly Kodak b/w chemistry, I’m done. The 4x5 b/w film still seems ok for now. Sad, but not surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by urnem57 View Post
    I bought 4 bags of Xtol from 2 different sources. ALL of them were bad. It was only after destroying 6 sheets of 4x5 film that I started researching the “Trade concern”
    I then bought a bag of D76 from a 3rd supplier. It too was bad. It looked like maple syrup as I was mixing it. It’s pretty sad that a once great company named Kodak is now just an empty brand name that can’t even competently produce reliable chemistry. After 50 years of using
    strictly Kodak b/w chemistry, I’m done. The 4x5 b/w film still seems ok for now. Sad, but not surprising.
    Start making your own D-76 from scratch. Its ridiculously easy. That's what I'm doing now, as Xtol becomes less and less reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Start making your own D-76 from scratch. Its ridiculously easy. That's what I'm doing now, as Xtol becomes less and less reliable.
    I’m open to that idea. Any recipe for D76 that you would care to share that you know to work well?
    Thanks!